- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Pro-AL teachers’ panel sweeps DUTA polls
The pro-Awami League blue panel swept the Dhaka University Teachers Association election as it bagged 14 out of 15 executive committee posts leading pro-Bangladesh Nationalist Party-Jamaat-e-Islami backed white panel to continue its frustration.
The blue panel’s earth and environmental sciences faculty professor Maksud Kamal has been re-elected as president for the third consecutive term and business studies faculty’s dean professor Shibli Rubayat Ul Islam as general secretary respectively.
Maksud Kamal bagged 1036 votes while his white panel rival Akhter Hossain Khan got 453 votes while Shibli Rubayat Ul Islam bagged 805 votes and his rival from white panel Luthfor Rahman bagged 689 votes.
In the polls, 1,551 out of 1988 teachers cast their votes.
DUTA election commissioner chemistry department professor Tofail Ahmad Chowdury announced the results in afternoon at the university’s teachers club. The voting was held between 10:00am to 2:00pm on Tuesday.
Computer science and engineering department professor Hasanuzzaman was elected lone executive committee member in the polls from pro-BNP-Jamaat white panel.
The other office bearers are vice-president Imdadul Huq, treasure Mamatajuddin Ahmed, joint-secretary Tazin Aziz Chowdhury and members are Chandranath Poddar, Zeenat Huda, Nisar Hossain, Aftab Ali Seikh, Ziaur rahman, Nizamul Huq Bhuiyan, Sadeka Halim, Sabita Rizwana Rahman and Soumitra Sekhar.