- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
50 endangered wild animals, birds rescued
Wildlife Crimes Control Unit of Department of Forests rescued 50 wild animals and birds from pochers at Tongi Bazar in Gazipur district on Tuesday.
In a joint raid by WCCU and Rapid Action Battalion headquarters, a WCCU team rescued one monkey, 19 cotton gooses, five owls, 15 mynas, five doves, one swamphen, two squirrels and seven parakeets from Bacchu Mia’s animal shop at Honda intersection of Tongi Bazar, said wildlife inspector Ashim Mallick.
During the raid one Al Hadi was arrested and finded Tk 50,000 by RAB executive magistrate, Ashim said.
He added that WCCU director Mihir Doe later released the wild animals and birds at Gazipur National Park.