- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Female physician killed in city road accident
A female physician was killed in a road crash when a bus hit a CNG-run auto-rickshaw carrying her in the city's Bijay Sarani area early Tuesday.
The deceased Akhter Jahan Ruma, 28, was an ophthalmologist working at an eye hospital in Osmaninagar of Sylhet.
The accident took place around 4:45am when a bus of 'Green-line' Paribahan hit the auto-rickshaw, leaving Ruma and the auto-rickshaw driver critically injured, said Hanif, an eyewitness.
Later, the injured were rushed to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital where the duty doctors declared Ruma dead around 5:15am, said sub-inspector Bacchu Miah of DMCH police outpost.
Ruma came to Dhaka to attend an interview at 'Shyamoli Eye Hospital', said the witness.