- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
AL leader murdered in Naogaon
A local Awami League leader was hacked to death by unidentified miscreants at Mahmudpur village in Patnitala upazila on Tuesday night.
The deceased was identified as Ishaque Hossain, 75, president of upazila unit Awami League and a resident of the village.
Rafiqul Islam, additional superintendent of police (Patnitala circle), Ishaque was returning home by his vehicle after attending a party meeting at its office.
A group of miscreants swooped on him as soon as he got down from the vehicle at his courtyard around 10pm, he said.
The attackers chopped him and his driver Dulal Hossain, 35, with sharp weapons, leaving them injured.
The injured were taken to upazila health complex where doctors declared the AL leader dead.
Before the attack, the assailants confined the caretaker of Ishaque's house to his room, the police official said.