- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Cops arrest father with son’s body in shroud
Police recovered the body of a two-year-old boy and also rescued his older brother from a house in Dhaka’s Banglamotor area and arrested their father.
Safayet’s body was covered in a shroud and was on a table when police recovered it, police said.
The law enforcers rescued Safayet’s brother Surayet, 4, and also detained their father, Akhtaruzzaman Kajol.
Police cordoned off the house around 8:00am.
Confirming the development, Maruf Hossain Sardar, deputy commissioner of DMP (Ramna division), told Bdchronicle that Akhtaruzzaman Kajol, is mentally unstable and his wife had left him owing to this.
However, the couple’s two sons lived with Kajol, the DC added.
One of Kajol’s relative, Nahida Akter, said that he is a drug addict and has been mentally unstable since last Eid-ul-Azha. The house belongs to Kajol’s family, she added.
Kajol was carrying a sharp weapon when he was inside the house, police said.
Witnesses said that Kajol went out of the two-storey house around 8:00am this morning and brought in a cleric (Moulvi) for offering prayers at the house.
After the prayers, the cleric informed Shahbagh police that he saw a child in an unconscious state inside the house.
Informed, a team of Shahbagh police led by OC Abul Hasan went to the house and found it was locked from inside.