- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
Receive, scrutinise Rabbani’s nomination papers in 48hrs: HC to RO
The Supreme Court today ordered the returning officer of Rangpur to receive the nomination paper of BNP-backed aspirant Golam Rabbani, also a Jamaat leader, in 24 hours and to scrutinise the papers in the next 24 hours.
A seven-member bench of the Appellate Division headed by Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain passed the order after hearing a petition filed by the government seeking a stay on a High Court order.
WHAT WAS THE HC ORDER?
The High Court on Monday ordered a local returning officer to accept immediately the nomination paper of Golam Rabbani, an aspirant for Rangpur-5 constituency in the upcoming national election.
Earlier on November 28, the returning officer did not accept Rabbani's nomination paper, despite submitting all relevant documents, a lawyer for Rabbani, said yesterday.
Subsequently, a writ petition was filed by Rabbani, challenging the decision of the returning officer.
As per the Election Commission schedule, November 28 was the deadline to submit nomination papers, while December 2 for scrutiny and 9 for withdrawal.
WHEN IS THE ELECTION?
Election Commission has revised polls schedule, deferring the 11th general election by a week to December 30.
The authorities had fixed November 28 as the deadline for filing nomination papers, December 2 for scrutiny and December 9 last date of withdrawal.
The move came following demands from several opposition political parties.