- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
'Robber' killed in Cox’s Bazar 'gunfight'
UNB, Cox's Bazar
A suspected robber was killed in a reported gunfight with member of Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) at Magnama in Pekua upazila early today.
The deceased was identified as Tarek, 30, son of Abdus Shukkur of Uttar Dhurong in Kutubdia.
Tipped off, a team of Rab-7 conducted a drive in the area where two gangs of robbers thronged for sharing ransom money, said Rab-7 camp company commander Major Mehedi Hasan.
Sensing presence of the elite force, the criminals opened fire forcing Rab members to fire back in self-defense.
At one stage, Tarek caught in the line of fire and died on spot, said Rab.
Didarul Ferdous, officer-in-charge of Kutubdia Police Station, said Tarek was a listed criminal and was wanted for five cases including that of arms and robbery.
One pistol, two one shutter guns and 23 cartridges were recovered from the spot.