- Guard polling centres instead of boycotting election
- Paul Allen: Microsoft co-founder and billionaire dies aged 65
- Asia stocks at 17-month low as China lets yuan slip
- UK announces $22.25m support for Rohingya refugees
- IMF forecasts 7.1pc economic growth for Bangladesh in 2019
- Bangladesh ‘least committed’ to cut rich-poor gap: Oxfam
- Bhashani Univ suspends 5 BCL leaders ‘for misbehaving with teachers’
- NKorea hackers broke into banks, tried to take US$1.1b
- Oil spill threatens Meghna; unheeded for 5 days
- Haiti quake death toll rises to 15, and 300 injured
WELCOMING 1426 with Loko Sangeet
Amar Paul, a legendary folk singer who is renowned in both the Bengals, today passed away at the age of 97.
He died of a cerebral attack at SSKM Hospital in Kolkata this afternoon, reports Bangla daily Prothom Alo.
The veteran musician left behind his five sons to mourn his demise. His wife Putul Rani Paul had passed away earlier.
Amar Paul was born in Brahmanbaria on May 19, 1922. Numerous recordings of his folk songs were published. Besides, he also sang many songs for films.
One of his songs in the Satyajit Ray film Hirak Rajar Deshe – “Kotoi Rongo Dekhi Duniyay” -- is still very popular.