- Students clash with police at Shahbagh demanding exam dates
- 5 SC lawyers exempted from contempt rule
- Rain disrupts city life
- 12 held at Benapole while trying to cross border illegally
- 5 members of ‘rapist gang’ held in city
- Comilla couple electrocuted
- BNP for constitutional amendment for polls under neutral govt
- 4-day training on technical analysis at DSE from Aug 7
- Youth to die for killing minor girl after rape in Kushtia
- EC plans to use DVMs in few wards in Rangpur city election
Sheikh Mujib is the Himalayas: Castro
Cuba's revolutionary leader Fidel Castro once compared Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman to the Himalayas.
The former Cuban president made the remarks in 1973 when he met with Bangabandhu.
Embracing Bangabandhu Castro said: “I have not seen the Himalayas. But I have seen Sheikh Mujib. In personality and in courage, this man is the Himalayas. I have thus had the experience of witnessing the Himalayas.”
The architect of the independence of Bangladesh attended a summit in 1973 at Algiers Non where he met with Fidel Castro.
Castro was among the 69 ‘foreign friends and organisations’ honoured by Bangladesh in 2013 for their contribution to the country’s liberation war in 1971.
Cuba’s ambassador in India, Abelardo Cueto, received the award from the hands of Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on March 24.
The bilateral relations between Bangladesh and Cuba have been warm with both the countries putting their efforts to strengthen it further and Cubans can get Visa on arrival in Bangladesh.
Bangladesh and Cuba have expressed their interest to expand the bilateral economic cooperation between the two countries and have been working in this regard. Pharmaceuticals industries have been identified as a potential sector for the economic cooperation between the two countries.
Diplomatic relations between the two countries were officially started in 1972, right after the independence of Bangladesh. Later, it was rejuvenated in 1979 when former Bangladesh president Ziaur Rahman paid an official visit to Havana.