- 7-murder: HC confirms death penalty of Nur, 14 others
- SC stays HC order over law secy’s contractual appointment
- Shujan suggests dissolution of parliament for level-playing field
- People pay last tributes to beloved actor Razzak
- PM gives assistance to 6 arson attack victims’ families
- HC delivering verdict on N’ganj 7-murder
- JS awaits debate on SC verdict as it goes into session Sept 10
- Cattle entry from India, Myanmar looks fairly good ahead of eid
- People to pay last respects to ‘Nayakraj’ at FDC, Shaheed Minar
- Shamim Osman skewers CJ’s Pakistan reference
Govt working to expand media: PM
Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina on Saturday said the government has been working to expand the media both in the public and private sectors to ensure the free flow of information.
“Then free flow of information is very much essential to develop an improved and time-befitting social system in the country,” she said while formally inaugurating the expansion of programme hours of the BTV's Chittagong station through a videoconference from her official residence Ganobhaban.
The Prime Minister launched its new 6-hour telecast time increasing it from its previous one and half hours one.
"Bangladesh Television always tries to discharge its responsibilities to people rather making profit," she said adding that education-oriented programmes can be telecast through BTV which might not be possible through private television channels.
Sheikh Hasina said the government has taken necessary steps to continue the expansion of electronic media, particularly televisions and radios, in both the public and private sectors.
She, however, put emphasis on broadcasting more programmes to create mass awareness about education and other pro-people issues.
Hasina said various organisations in the public sector like Bangladesh Betar, BTV, NIMC, PIB, DFP, Bangladesh Films and Television Institute and BFDC are working to provide information and entertainment to people as well as flourish the country's own culture and tradition.
The Prime Minister said with the expansion of telecast-time of Chittagong BTV, it would be possible to flourish local culture of Chittagong region in an easier way.