- Transport workers block roads in Jamalpur for 5 hrs
- Narail road mishap kills Pran employee
- Global acclaim for Bangladesh’s disaster management programmes
- Khulna BNP’s half-day hartal ends peacefully
- Man killed over land dispute in Gopalganj
- One held with 2.3kg gold in Benapole
- US wishes Muslims peaceful, blessed Ramadan
- Bombs, bomb making substance recovered from Savar militant den
- BNP’s half-day hartal underway in Khulna
- 3 killed in Gaibandha road crash
ICC WWCQ: Bangladesh beat Ireland by 7 wkts
Bangladesh made a good start in the six-team Super League of the ICC Women’s World Cup Qualifiers beating Ireland by seven wickets at Colombo Cricket Club ground in Sri Lanka on Wednesday.
Bangladesh need to finish at least 4th in the Super League to storm the ICC Women’s World Cup beginning on June 24 in England.
In the remaining Super League matches, the Tigresses will play India on Friday (Feb 17) and face hosts Sri Lanka on Sunday (Feb 19), both at Nondescripts Cricket Club ground in Colombo.
Sent in to bat first in their first Super League match, Ireland Women’s team were all out for 144 runs in 47.1 overs, featuring two partnerships in the 3rd wicket and 5th wicket stands.
Clare Shillington pairing with MF Kendal contributed 45 runs in the 3rd wicket stand while captain-cum-number five batter Laura Delany partnering with number six Isobel Joyce scored 44 runs in the 5th wicket stand.
Two down Clare Shillington scored 37 runs off 36 balls hitting four fours and two sixes while number five Laura Delany also contributed 37 runs off 68 balls, featuring five boundaries.
Besides, Isobel Joyce (24), Meg Kendal (16) and Mary Waldron (11) were the other notable scorers for Ireland reaching the double figures.
Jahanara Alam bagged three Irish wickets for 21 runs and was adjudged player of the match while Panna Ghosh, Khadija-Tul-Kubra and Rumana Ahmed picked up two wickets each conceding 16, 26 and 50 runs respectively. Salma Khatun took one wicket for 29 runs.