- DNCC polls stayed for 6 months: EC
- ‘Idea of repatriation now is a farce’: Fortify Rights
- BNP seeks constitutional amendment for polls-time govt
- President calls for proper household data collection
- 2 die of cold in Khulna
- Action against PO, ministry staff, if found guilty: Nahid
- Myanmar’s neighbours eager to see progress in Rakhine
- 13,400 mts rice imported from Myanmar in 10 months: Report
- Saber receives Vietnam’s ‘Friendship Order’
- BSTI fines 11 business outlets in city
Over 400 trade unions registered in RMG sector in 3yrs: Chunnu
Noting that doing trade union is a basic right of workers, State Minister for Labour and Employment Md Mujibur Haque Chunnu on Wednesday told Parliament that over 400 new trade unions were registered in the garment sector in the last three years.
"There’re only 132 registered trade unions in the garment sector in 2013 but now the number has risen to 540," he said replying to a tabled question from Awami League MP Israfil Alam (Naogaon-6).
Chunnu said the present worker-friendly government made the registration process of trade union easy and the workers can now make their trade unions registered online.
He said the garment workers are enjoying the larger facility of doing trade union.
Meanwhile, Disaster Management and Relief Minister Mofazzal Hossain Chowdhury Maya told the House that a total of 3,985 cyclone centres were constructed in the county's costal areas by the government and non-government organisations.
A committee, formed following the cyclone Sidr to estimate its damage and design ways to rehabilitate the victims, recommended constructing a total of 2,097 multi-cyclone shelters in the cyclone and tidal surge-prone areas of the country, he said replying to a tabled question from the ruling party MP Sheikh Md Nurul Haque (Khulna-6).
Following the committee's recommendation, a plan was taken to construct 1,072 cyclone shelters in the areas, Maya said.
Of these, 100 were constructed from 2013 to 2015 and the implementation of a project is underway to construct 220 more centres between 2016 and 2019, he said.
The minister said it is expected that the ministry will construct the remaining 752 cyclone shelters in the future.