- Inter Milan loses 5-4 at Fiorentina despite Icardi hat trick
- Mumbai defends 142, Dhoni hits last-ball winner in IPL
- DSE, CSE down at opening
- Mexico says 2 top drug traffickers killed near US border
- French voters begin casting ballots in presidential election
- Sexagenarian beaten to death in Noakhali
- 2 female ‘Jamaat members’ held in Jessore
- Farmer dies in Sherpur elephant attack
- A year on, justice eludes family of slain RU professor
- B’baria OC hurt in clash during AL hartal
Govt using militancy issue to prolong power, alleges BNP
Stating that the recent militant incidents are unauthentic, BNP senior leaders Khandaker Mosharraf Hossain on Monday alleged that the government is using the militancy issue as a weapon to perpetuate its power.
“The government uses the militancy issue to mislead people whenever it falls in any trouble. In fact, the issue is created by them (govt) and they’re now propagating it to hang onto power by force,” he said.
Mosharraf, a BNP standing committee member, came up with the allegation while speaking at a discussion arranged by Chetanai Bangladeshi Jatiyatabad, a pro-BNP platform, at the Jatiya Press Club.
He alleged that the government is staging a drama over curbing militancy to give foreign countries a message that they are very active against extremism, and Awami League needs to stay in power to tackle it.