- Lovers found hanging with a single rope
- 32 shanties gutted in Ctg fire
- BNP leader Taimur arrested
- Govt’s vindictive attitude alarming: Khaleda
- British firm likely to get deal for extra 5 million MRP
- 10 DU students hurt as BCL sweeps VC office siege
- Alorito-30 observes ‘Batch Day’ at IU
- Cop ’commits suicide’ at Ctg Police Lines
- PM for quick repatriation of Rohingyas
- UN seeks environment in Rakhine for Rohingya repatriation
First-ever National Day of Sports observed
The first-ever National Day of Sports was observed in the country on Thursday coinciding with the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace.
The United Nations General Assembly declared April 6 as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace three years ago.
State Minister for Youth and Sports Dr Biren Shikder inaugurated the day’s programmes at Sheikh Russell Roller Skating Complex on the Bangabandhu National Stadium (BNS) premises in the morning releasing balloons and pigeons.
Deputy Minister Youth and Sports Arif Khan Joy and Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Youth and Sports Ministry Zahid Ahsan Russell were also present at the function chaired by acting Youth and Sports Secretary M Asadul Haque.
A colourful rally with the participation of sportsmen, sports organisers, sports journalists and sports lovers was brought out from the BNS premises. It ended at the starting point after parading the Zero Point, Secretariat and the Jatiya Press Club.