- Transport workers block roads in Jamalpur for 5 hrs
- Narail road mishap kills Pran employee
- Global acclaim for Bangladesh’s disaster management programmes
- Khulna BNP’s half-day hartal ends peacefully
- Man killed over land dispute in Gopalganj
- One held with 2.3kg gold in Benapole
- US wishes Muslims peaceful, blessed Ramadan
- Bombs, bomb making substance recovered from Savar militant den
- BNP’s half-day hartal underway in Khulna
- 3 killed in Gaibandha road crash
First-ever National Day of Sports observed
The first-ever National Day of Sports was observed in the country on Thursday coinciding with the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace.
The United Nations General Assembly declared April 6 as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace three years ago.
State Minister for Youth and Sports Dr Biren Shikder inaugurated the day’s programmes at Sheikh Russell Roller Skating Complex on the Bangabandhu National Stadium (BNS) premises in the morning releasing balloons and pigeons.
Deputy Minister Youth and Sports Arif Khan Joy and Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Youth and Sports Ministry Zahid Ahsan Russell were also present at the function chaired by acting Youth and Sports Secretary M Asadul Haque.
A colourful rally with the participation of sportsmen, sports organisers, sports journalists and sports lovers was brought out from the BNS premises. It ended at the starting point after parading the Zero Point, Secretariat and the Jatiya Press Club.