- BNP demands action against Thakurpara attackers
- Panthapath hotel operation: Another ‘militant’ held in city
- Riyad made USAID’s Goodwill Ambassador for youth & dev in BD
- AL leader found slaughtered in Satkhira
- ‘Evil design’ behind delay in appointing new CJ: Moudud
- Govt to be forced to accept demand: BN
- Suu Kyi blames world conflicts partly on illegal immigration
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe faces deadline to resign, or impeachment
- Asian 14/U Series Tennis inaugurated
- Sports-BPL: Tamim, Liton fined for breaching BCB Code of Conduct
First-ever National Day of Sports observed
The first-ever National Day of Sports was observed in the country on Thursday coinciding with the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace.
The United Nations General Assembly declared April 6 as the International Day of Sport for Development and Peace three years ago.
State Minister for Youth and Sports Dr Biren Shikder inaugurated the day’s programmes at Sheikh Russell Roller Skating Complex on the Bangabandhu National Stadium (BNS) premises in the morning releasing balloons and pigeons.
Deputy Minister Youth and Sports Arif Khan Joy and Chairman of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Youth and Sports Ministry Zahid Ahsan Russell were also present at the function chaired by acting Youth and Sports Secretary M Asadul Haque.
A colourful rally with the participation of sportsmen, sports organisers, sports journalists and sports lovers was brought out from the BNS premises. It ended at the starting point after parading the Zero Point, Secretariat and the Jatiya Press Club.