- PM slams judiciary for ‘wasting’ time with ‘silly’ matters
- Khaleda sits with her advisers
- BNP picks Babla for Rangpur city polls
- Australia to help BD for safe return of Rohingyas
- Khaleda must join polls under Hasina, says Shajahan
- Sheikh Hasina University Bill placed in JS
- Buet students to return to classes Saturday
- 5th Management Week begins at JU Wednesday
- Street movement if no understanding over polls, warns BNP
- IBBL receives highest taxpayer award
Khulna’s crab exporters suffer for lack of proper policy
Khulna, BdChronicle :
The crab exporters of Khulna, Satkhira and Bagerhat are facing a tough time, thanks to lack of specific guidelines, resulting in the closure of a significant portion of the Tk 100 crore industry.
Talking about its export prospects, crab traders here said they exported crabs worth Tk 400 crore annually over the last three years, and it can eventually take over the pole position of ‘white gold’, which is currently attributed to lobsters.
Sources at the Export Promotion Bureau (EPB) said Bangladesh had entered the global crab industry in 1977. The total volume of crabs exported stood at 2973 mt during the 2008-09 fiscal year, which took a leap to 4416 mt by 2011-12 and 8520 mt by 2013-14. The figure now stands at 10,500 mt as of 2015-16