- Remain alert about behaviour, attitude, PM tells party men
- S Korea to provide $1.5 mn for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- Rohingya crisis: BNP says PM failed to convince global leaders
- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
Khulna’s crab exporters suffer for lack of proper policy
Khulna, BdChronicle :
The crab exporters of Khulna, Satkhira and Bagerhat are facing a tough time, thanks to lack of specific guidelines, resulting in the closure of a significant portion of the Tk 100 crore industry.
Talking about its export prospects, crab traders here said they exported crabs worth Tk 400 crore annually over the last three years, and it can eventually take over the pole position of ‘white gold’, which is currently attributed to lobsters.
Sources at the Export Promotion Bureau (EPB) said Bangladesh had entered the global crab industry in 1977. The total volume of crabs exported stood at 2973 mt during the 2008-09 fiscal year, which took a leap to 4416 mt by 2011-12 and 8520 mt by 2013-14. The figure now stands at 10,500 mt as of 2015-16