- No Hasina-led supportive govt: BNP
- Gold trader chopped dead in Khulna
- Gas crisis in CNG stations temporary: Nasrul
- Nahid for expanding technical education
- Boy tortured on theft charge in Habiganj
- Khaleda to take part in next general polls under Hasina-led govt:
- 4 fishermen kidnapped in Bhola
- Militancy big barrier to development: PM
- BGB man goes missing in Teesta
- 2 killed in Mymensingh road crash
A year on, justice eludes family of slain RU professor
Family, friends, colleagues and students are marking the first death anniversary of Rajshahi University professor AFM Rezaul Karim Siddique with a call for justice for the music and literary works enthusiast.
Suspected Islamist extremists hacked the English department teacher to death near his home in Rajshahi exactly a year ago today (April 23).
Hours into the killings of Professor Karim, militant group Islamic State claimed the responsibility for the attack, according to US-based SITE Intelligence Group.
Riyasat Imtiaz Sourav, son of the slain professor, later filed a murder case against anonymous people for the attack, which, police said, has similarities with the style of the murder of blogger and secular activists in the past.
The prime suspect in the murder case is still on the run and the family members of the professor, prompting the family members casting doubt over getting justice.
Lamenting the slow pace of the investigation, Rezwana Hasin Shotovi, daughter of the teacher, told the UNB: “The prime suspect of the case is still on the run. It’s been one year now, however, no progress has been made yet.