- DNCC polls stayed for 6 months: EC
- ‘Idea of repatriation now is a farce’: Fortify Rights
- BNP seeks constitutional amendment for polls-time govt
- President calls for proper household data collection
- 2 die of cold in Khulna
- Action against PO, ministry staff, if found guilty: Nahid
- Myanmar’s neighbours eager to see progress in Rakhine
- 13,400 mts rice imported from Myanmar in 10 months: Report
- Saber receives Vietnam’s ‘Friendship Order’
- BSTI fines 11 business outlets in city
Students’ agitation halts traffic on Dhaka-M’singh highway
Students of a school blocked Dhaka-Mymensingh highway on Thursday morning demanding removal of their headmaster due to irregularities.
Police said the students of Tongi Ashraf Textile High School took to the streets around 10:30 am and staged demonstrations on the highway demanding removal of their headmaster and reinstatement of four sacked teachers of the school.
The students alleged that the school managing committee sacked four teachers—Abu Harun, Abu Bakar Siddique, Sulal and Majnu—as they had protested the headmaster’s move to take extra fees from the students.
Traffic movement on the busy highway remained suspended for two hours following the incident, causing sufferings to the commuters.
On information, police went to the spot and charged baton to disperse the students, leaving five students injured.