- Voting in 19 UPs, Khetlal municipality begins
- PM performs Umrah
- 2 schoolgirls drown in Chuadanga
- Transport strike called off in Sylhet
- 100 HSC answer scripts found at RU hall
- BD imposes ‘self-ban’ on vegetable export to EU market
- Swadhinata KS clinch 1st Div Football League title
- Trump greeted with selfies and politics on arrival in Israel
- Khaleda sits with party policymakers
- Banani rape: Shafat’s driver Billal makes ‘confession’
27 held in Satkhira drives
Police arrested 27 people, including an alleged Jamaat-e-Islami activist, during separate drives conducted at different parts of the district from Friday evening to Saturday morning.
The alleged Jamaat activist was identified as Nazrul Islam, son of Md Ripon, of Betla village in Sadar upazila.
Mizanur Rahman, an inspector at the Special Branch of Satkhira police, said the law enforcers conducted the drives in different areas of the district and arrested nine from Sadar, four from Kolaroa, three from Kaliganj, three from Shyamnagar, two from Ashashuni and two from Patkelghata upazila.
Police also recovered 250 bottles of Phensidyl and 40 pieces of Yaba pills during the drives.
The arrestees are accused in cases like acts of sabotage and drug abuse, Mizan added.