- Students clash with police at Shahbagh demanding exam dates
- 5 SC lawyers exempted from contempt rule
- Rain disrupts city life
- 12 held at Benapole while trying to cross border illegally
- 5 members of ‘rapist gang’ held in city
- Comilla couple electrocuted
- BNP for constitutional amendment for polls under neutral govt
- 4-day training on technical analysis at DSE from Aug 7
- Youth to die for killing minor girl after rape in Kushtia
- EC plans to use DVMs in few wards in Rangpur city election
Quader bins BNP’s ‘supportive govt’ formula
Trashing the BNP’s demand for arranging the next general election under a ‘polls-time supportive government’, Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader has said the parliamentary polls will be held as per the constitution.
“There’s nothing like ‘polls-time supportive government’ in any country of the world. So, why’ll it be there in Bangladesh? The election won’t be held under Sheikh Hasina…the Election Commission will arrange it,” he said in a recent interview with UNB.
According to the constitution, the incumbent government will facilitate the Election Commission (EC) to hold the general election, said Quader adding, “Even all the government agencies will work under the constitutional body at that time.”
Asked whether the election will be ‘acceptable’ if BNP does not take part, he said, “I do believe BNP will participate in the next polls. They (BNP) have already started working at the grassroots level as part of their election campaign.”
Citing the statement of BNP general secretary Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir that the party will not join the next election if their demands are not met, Quader said Fakhrul made this comment to keep his party activists in mood.