- Mobile SIM sale to Rohingyas going on defying ban
- 7 get life in prison for murder in Ctg
- EC to sit with women leaders Monday
- Govt urged to create separate lanes for auto rickshaws, tempos
- ‘BGB-BSF set for another round of war games’
- BD urges Turkey to build one lakh more shelters for Rohingyas
- Neo-JMB man arrested from Sherpur
- Myanmar must take back its nationals, Sushma tells Hasina
- DU ‘Gha’ unit entry test results in afternoon
- Full HC verdict against Oishee published
Elections to 6 city corporations before parliamentary polls
The Election Commission is preparing to arrange elections to six city corporations -- Rangpur, Rajshahi, Khulna, Sylhet, Barisal and Gazipur— before the 11th parliamentary elections to be held in late December 2018 or early January 2019.
According to the EC’’s plan, the 2nd election to Rangpur City Corporation will be held in December next.
EC officials said the Commission is planning to complete elections to the other five city corporations by August 2018.
The Election Commission has also incorporated its plans to complete elections to six city corporations in its draft roadmap prepared for the arrangement of the next general election.
The maiden election to Rangpur City Corporation was held on December 20, 2012, while the polls to four city corporations –- Rajshahi, Khulna, Barisal and Sylhet -- were held on June 15, 2013 and the maiden polls to Gazipur City Corporation on July 6, 2013.