- Cop ’commits suicide’ at Ctg Police Lines
- PM for quick repatriation of Rohingyas
- UN seeks environment in Rakhine for Rohingya repatriation
- DNCC polls stayed for 6 months: EC
- ‘Idea of repatriation now is a farce’: Fortify Rights
- BNP seeks constitutional amendment for polls-time govt
- President calls for proper household data collection
- 2 die of cold in Khulna
- Action against PO, ministry staff, if found guilty: Nahid
- Myanmar’s neighbours eager to see progress in Rakhine
Elections to 6 city corporations before parliamentary polls
The Election Commission is preparing to arrange elections to six city corporations -- Rangpur, Rajshahi, Khulna, Sylhet, Barisal and Gazipur— before the 11th parliamentary elections to be held in late December 2018 or early January 2019.
According to the EC’’s plan, the 2nd election to Rangpur City Corporation will be held in December next.
EC officials said the Commission is planning to complete elections to the other five city corporations by August 2018.
The Election Commission has also incorporated its plans to complete elections to six city corporations in its draft roadmap prepared for the arrangement of the next general election.
The maiden election to Rangpur City Corporation was held on December 20, 2012, while the polls to four city corporations –- Rajshahi, Khulna, Barisal and Sylhet -- were held on June 15, 2013 and the maiden polls to Gazipur City Corporation on July 6, 2013.