- 7-murder: HC confirms death penalty of Nur, 14 others
- SC stays HC order over law secy’s contractual appointment
- Shujan suggests dissolution of parliament for level-playing field
- People pay last tributes to beloved actor Razzak
- PM gives assistance to 6 arson attack victims’ families
- HC delivering verdict on N’ganj 7-murder
- JS awaits debate on SC verdict as it goes into session Sept 10
- Cattle entry from India, Myanmar looks fairly good ahead of eid
- People to pay last respects to ‘Nayakraj’ at FDC, Shaheed Minar
- Shamim Osman skewers CJ’s Pakistan reference
Elections to 6 city corporations before parliamentary polls
The Election Commission is preparing to arrange elections to six city corporations -- Rangpur, Rajshahi, Khulna, Sylhet, Barisal and Gazipur— before the 11th parliamentary elections to be held in late December 2018 or early January 2019.
According to the EC’’s plan, the 2nd election to Rangpur City Corporation will be held in December next.
EC officials said the Commission is planning to complete elections to the other five city corporations by August 2018.
The Election Commission has also incorporated its plans to complete elections to six city corporations in its draft roadmap prepared for the arrangement of the next general election.
The maiden election to Rangpur City Corporation was held on December 20, 2012, while the polls to four city corporations –- Rajshahi, Khulna, Barisal and Sylhet -- were held on June 15, 2013 and the maiden polls to Gazipur City Corporation on July 6, 2013.