- PM’s Austria tour: Combating terrorism high on agenda
- AL sinking into quicksand, says BNP
- 50 DU students get FSIB scholarship
- IBBL to host iftar items to 10 million fasting pedestrians
- Statue reinstalled in front of SC annex building
- IBBL organises conference on ‘business development’ in Sylhet
- Cop-JU student clash injures 20 over death of JU students
- Two-day Int’l Conf on Computational Mathematics begins at DU
- Safe Motherhood Day Sunday
- Cousins drown in a pond in Comilla
Sakku seeks dismissal of arrest warrant
Comilla City Corporation (CCC) Mayor Monirul Haque Sakku on Wednesday filed a petition with the High Court (HC) seeking the court’s order to dismiss the arrest warrant and the case filed against him by the Anti Corruption Commission (ACC).
Sakku’s lawyer Mahabub Uddin Khokan filed the petition on behalf of the embattled mayor.
On April 17, a Dhaka court issued an arrest warrant against Sakku in a graft case filed by ACC.
The court also ordered confiscation of his properties in cognisance of the chargesheet.
Earlier on May 7, 2008, Shahin Ara Mamtaz, assistant director of ACC, filed a case against Sakku and his wife Afroza Jesmin for concealing information relating to wealth worth TK 12.50 crore, and amassing wealth amounting to Tk 4.57 crore illegally.