- BNP demands action against Thakurpara attackers
- Panthapath hotel operation: Another ‘militant’ held in city
- Riyad made USAID’s Goodwill Ambassador for youth & dev in BD
- AL leader found slaughtered in Satkhira
- ‘Evil design’ behind delay in appointing new CJ: Moudud
- Govt to be forced to accept demand: BN
- Suu Kyi blames world conflicts partly on illegal immigration
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe faces deadline to resign, or impeachment
- Asian 14/U Series Tennis inaugurated
- Sports-BPL: Tamim, Liton fined for breaching BCB Code of Conduct
BNP likes election, not Hasina, says Gayeshwar
BNP senior leader Gayeshwar Chandra Roy on Friday said their party wants to boycott Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina, not the next general election.
“BNP doesn’t want to boycott the election, but Sheikh Hasina. BNP likes election, not Hasina. So, a democratic election and Sheikh Hasina can’t go together,” he said.
The BNP leader came up with the comment while speaking at a discussion at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity (DRU) arranged by Tarique Zia Cyber Force, marking the May Day.
Gayeshwar, a BNP standing committee member, said the more Awami League will commit misdeeds, the more BNP will become popular. “Those who are being oppressed under the rule of Awami League will rally around BNP as their last resort.”
He also warned the ruling party that it will have to face dire consequences if it does not shun repressive acts and misdeeds.
Under the current context of the country, the BNP leader said, democracy is more important for their party than going to power. “We must restore democracy, and media can play an effective role in this regard.”