- Voting in 19 UPs, Khetlal municipality begins
- PM performs Umrah
- 2 schoolgirls drown in Chuadanga
- Transport strike called off in Sylhet
- 100 HSC answer scripts found at RU hall
- BD imposes ‘self-ban’ on vegetable export to EU market
- Swadhinata KS clinch 1st Div Football League title
- Trump greeted with selfies and politics on arrival in Israel
- Khaleda sits with party policymakers
- Banani rape: Shafat’s driver Billal makes ‘confession’
EU wants all BD parties to join next nat’l election
The European Union (EU) hopes that all the political parties in Bangladesh will take part in the next national election saying there have been some ‘lessons learned’ from the last election.
"There’ve been some lessons learned already that will lead to proper approach," said EU Ambassador in Dhaka Pierre Mayaudon on Monday.
He was speaking to a select group of journalists at the office of the EU Delegation ahead of the Europe Day that falls on May 9.
The diplomat, who is likely to leave Dhaka by August-end completing his tenure, hoped that the next election will be an occasion of all the citizens of Bangladesh.
One of the major political parties in the country, BNP, boycotted the last national election allowing many seats to go uncontested.
The Ambassador, however, said the EU has a universal agenda to promote free, fair and inclusive election, and it is their ‘wish’ to see Bangladesh responds to that pillar.
Responding to a question on Hefajat and recently formed alliance led by Jatiya Party, the diplomat said he finds these developments as positive ones.