- Mobile SIM sale to Rohingyas going on defying ban
- 7 get life in prison for murder in Ctg
- EC to sit with women leaders Monday
- Govt urged to create separate lanes for auto rickshaws, tempos
- ‘BGB-BSF set for another round of war games’
- BD urges Turkey to build one lakh more shelters for Rohingyas
- Neo-JMB man arrested from Sherpur
- Myanmar must take back its nationals, Sushma tells Hasina
- DU ‘Gha’ unit entry test results in afternoon
- Full HC verdict against Oishee published
EU wants all BD parties to join next nat’l election
The European Union (EU) hopes that all the political parties in Bangladesh will take part in the next national election saying there have been some ‘lessons learned’ from the last election.
"There’ve been some lessons learned already that will lead to proper approach," said EU Ambassador in Dhaka Pierre Mayaudon on Monday.
He was speaking to a select group of journalists at the office of the EU Delegation ahead of the Europe Day that falls on May 9.
The diplomat, who is likely to leave Dhaka by August-end completing his tenure, hoped that the next election will be an occasion of all the citizens of Bangladesh.
One of the major political parties in the country, BNP, boycotted the last national election allowing many seats to go uncontested.
The Ambassador, however, said the EU has a universal agenda to promote free, fair and inclusive election, and it is their ‘wish’ to see Bangladesh responds to that pillar.
Responding to a question on Hefajat and recently formed alliance led by Jatiya Party, the diplomat said he finds these developments as positive ones.