- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
- Moosa to be blocked from leaving country
- Ex-UP member hacked dead in Pabna
- Addressing climate change means ensuring human rights: PM
Reunion of ex-RU teachers, students held in city
A reunion of the former teachers and students of Rajshahi University (RU) was held in the capital on Saturday.
At least 2,000 former teachers and students of the university gathered at the programme, which as the organisers claimed first of its kind in the country, at the International Convention City Bashundhara.
The get-together began around 9am with the singing of the national anthem and paying rich tributes to the Liberation War martyrs of the university.
A total of 100 senior teachers were given special awards as a mark of respect and gratitude, said a press release.
Among former teachers, noted scholars and authors Badruddin Umar, Hasan Azizul Haque, Hosne Ara Hossain, A Majid Khan, Shamsur Rahman, Azharul Islam, Mahmud Shah Qureshi and Arun Kumar Basak, and former minister Prof Abu Sayeed, former ambassador Saidur Rahman Khan and Shahidul Islam were present at the function.
Among the students, former vice-president of Rajshahi University Central Student Union (RACSU), several MPs, secretaries, cultural activists and businessmen attended the programme.
The speakers at the function demanded arranging election to RACSU and amending the alumni association constitution.
In the evening, a colourful cultural programme was held where former students of the university and noted artistes, including Rafiqul Alam, Fatematuzohora, Iffat Ara Nargis, Laisa Ahmed Lisa, Nilufar Banu Lili, and many others performed.