- Statue reinstalled in front of SC annex building
- IBBL organises conference on ‘business development’ in Sylhet
- Cop-JU student clash injures 20 over death of JU students
- Two-day Int’l Conf on Computational Mathematics begins at DU
- Safe Motherhood Day Sunday
- Cousins drown in a pond in Comilla
- Bangladesh produces record 9358MW electricity
- FF commander among 2 killed in Gopalganj road crash
- 500 more beds to be added at NICVD: Nasim
- Transport workers block roads in Jamalpur for 5 hrs
Reunion of ex-RU teachers, students held in city
A reunion of the former teachers and students of Rajshahi University (RU) was held in the capital on Saturday.
At least 2,000 former teachers and students of the university gathered at the programme, which as the organisers claimed first of its kind in the country, at the International Convention City Bashundhara.
The get-together began around 9am with the singing of the national anthem and paying rich tributes to the Liberation War martyrs of the university.
A total of 100 senior teachers were given special awards as a mark of respect and gratitude, said a press release.
Among former teachers, noted scholars and authors Badruddin Umar, Hasan Azizul Haque, Hosne Ara Hossain, A Majid Khan, Shamsur Rahman, Azharul Islam, Mahmud Shah Qureshi and Arun Kumar Basak, and former minister Prof Abu Sayeed, former ambassador Saidur Rahman Khan and Shahidul Islam were present at the function.
Among the students, former vice-president of Rajshahi University Central Student Union (RACSU), several MPs, secretaries, cultural activists and businessmen attended the programme.
The speakers at the function demanded arranging election to RACSU and amending the alumni association constitution.
In the evening, a colourful cultural programme was held where former students of the university and noted artistes, including Rafiqul Alam, Fatematuzohora, Iffat Ara Nargis, Laisa Ahmed Lisa, Nilufar Banu Lili, and many others performed.