- 7-murder: HC confirms death penalty of Nur, 14 others
- SC stays HC order over law secy’s contractual appointment
- Shujan suggests dissolution of parliament for level-playing field
- People pay last tributes to beloved actor Razzak
- PM gives assistance to 6 arson attack victims’ families
- HC delivering verdict on N’ganj 7-murder
- JS awaits debate on SC verdict as it goes into session Sept 10
- Cattle entry from India, Myanmar looks fairly good ahead of eid
- People to pay last respects to ‘Nayakraj’ at FDC, Shaheed Minar
- Shamim Osman skewers CJ’s Pakistan reference
Int’l Mother’s Day being observed
International Mother's Day is being observed across the country today (Sunday), as elsewhere in the world, with much affection.
The International Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May every year paying tributes and gratitude to mothers around the world.
The earliest Mother's Day celebrations can be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honour of Rhea, the Mother of the Gods.
During the 1600s, England celebrated a day called ‘Mothering Sunday’.
In the United States, the Mother's Day celebration started in 1872 by peace activist Julia Ward Howe, who was horrified by the carnage and suffering of the Civil War, and wrote a proclamation calling on women to unite and oppose war.