- BGB man goes missing in Teesta
- 2 killed in Mymensingh road crash
- Army to work as per charter in next polls: Obaidul
- 2 hurt in Sirajganj clash die
- Restaurant owner killed in Rajshahi road crash
- BNP calls PM’s progress remarks ‘hollow’
- 2 British-Bangladeshi women in London fire victims: Police
- Cops unfold abduction drama of Ctg ex-BCL leader
- 4 go missing in Moinot Ghat, Cox’s Bazar Sea Beach
- Mugger held while fleeing with booty in B’baria
Int’l Mother’s Day being observed
International Mother's Day is being observed across the country today (Sunday), as elsewhere in the world, with much affection.
The International Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May every year paying tributes and gratitude to mothers around the world.
The earliest Mother's Day celebrations can be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honour of Rhea, the Mother of the Gods.
During the 1600s, England celebrated a day called ‘Mothering Sunday’.
In the United States, the Mother's Day celebration started in 1872 by peace activist Julia Ward Howe, who was horrified by the carnage and suffering of the Civil War, and wrote a proclamation calling on women to unite and oppose war.