- Voting in 19 UPs, Khetlal municipality begins
- PM performs Umrah
- 2 schoolgirls drown in Chuadanga
- Transport strike called off in Sylhet
- 100 HSC answer scripts found at RU hall
- BD imposes ‘self-ban’ on vegetable export to EU market
- Swadhinata KS clinch 1st Div Football League title
- Trump greeted with selfies and politics on arrival in Israel
- Khaleda sits with party policymakers
- Banani rape: Shafat’s driver Billal makes ‘confession’
Int’l Mother’s Day being observed
International Mother's Day is being observed across the country today (Sunday), as elsewhere in the world, with much affection.
The International Mother's Day is celebrated on the second Sunday of May every year paying tributes and gratitude to mothers around the world.
The earliest Mother's Day celebrations can be traced back to the spring celebrations of ancient Greece in honour of Rhea, the Mother of the Gods.
During the 1600s, England celebrated a day called ‘Mothering Sunday’.
In the United States, the Mother's Day celebration started in 1872 by peace activist Julia Ward Howe, who was horrified by the carnage and suffering of the Civil War, and wrote a proclamation calling on women to unite and oppose war.