- BD children’s death to chemicals sprayed on fruit trees
- 2 held with huge explosives in Sylhet
- India removes entry, exit restrictions on BD nationals’ visas
- Speaker returns home from Vietnam
- Movement must in case of no dialogue: BNP
- Full text of Rajon murder verdict released
- Re-excavate canals before monsoon: JS body
- ACC to sue GM of Natore Palli Bidyut Samity-2
- Dhaka denounces Al-Aqsa Mosque closure, Friday prayer banning
- Proposal sent to SC for Barisal judge’s withdrawal
HC directs govt to appoint lawyers for 7-murder convicts
The High Court on Tuesday directed government to appoint lawyers who would stand in the court for six absconding death-row convicts in connection with the sensational Narayanganj seven-murder cases.
The HC bench of Justice Jahangir Hossain Selim and Justice Md Jahangir Hossain passed the order asking the solicitor department of Law Ministry to appoint the lawyers within seven days.
The absconding convicts are - Sainik Mohiuddin Munshi, Sainik Alamin Sharif, Sainik Tajul Islam, and Selim, Sanaullah Sana and Shahjahan, aides of death row convict and ex-councillor of Narayanganj City Corporation Nur Hossain.
The HC also accepted a petition filed by convict Sainik Abdul Alim after his surrender challenging the lower court order, for hearing.
A Narayanganj court on January 16 last sentenced 26 people, including three sacked RAB officials and ex-city councillor Nur Hossain, to death and nine others to different jail terms in the two cases filed over the sensational seven-murder incident.