- Statue reinstalled in front of SC annex building
- IBBL organises conference on ‘business development’ in Sylhet
- Cop-JU student clash injures 20 over death of JU students
- Two-day Int’l Conf on Computational Mathematics begins at DU
- Safe Motherhood Day Sunday
- Cousins drown in a pond in Comilla
- Bangladesh produces record 9358MW electricity
- FF commander among 2 killed in Gopalganj road crash
- 500 more beds to be added at NICVD: Nasim
- Transport workers block roads in Jamalpur for 5 hrs
Drive in Satkhira; 29 held
In separate drives in different parts of the district from Monday night to Tuesday morning, police arrested 29 accused including a BNP leader on various charges.
The arrested BNP leader was identified as Dr. Shafiqul Islam, education affairs secretary of Jugikhali union unit BNP in Kalaroa upazila.
Of the arrestees, eight people were held from Sadar upazila, six from Kalaroa, three from Tala, two from Kaliganj, one from Shyamnagar, and five from Patkelghata upazilas, said Mizanur Rahman, an inspector of the Special Branch of police in Satkhira.
They are accused in different cases including acts of sabotage and drug abuse, the police officer added.