- BD children’s death to chemicals sprayed on fruit trees
- 2 held with huge explosives in Sylhet
- India removes entry, exit restrictions on BD nationals’ visas
- Speaker returns home from Vietnam
- Movement must in case of no dialogue: BNP
- Full text of Rajon murder verdict released
- Re-excavate canals before monsoon: JS body
- ACC to sue GM of Natore Palli Bidyut Samity-2
- Dhaka denounces Al-Aqsa Mosque closure, Friday prayer banning
- Proposal sent to SC for Barisal judge’s withdrawal
Drive in Satkhira; 29 held
In separate drives in different parts of the district from Monday night to Tuesday morning, police arrested 29 accused including a BNP leader on various charges.
The arrested BNP leader was identified as Dr. Shafiqul Islam, education affairs secretary of Jugikhali union unit BNP in Kalaroa upazila.
Of the arrestees, eight people were held from Sadar upazila, six from Kalaroa, three from Tala, two from Kaliganj, one from Shyamnagar, and five from Patkelghata upazilas, said Mizanur Rahman, an inspector of the Special Branch of police in Satkhira.
They are accused in different cases including acts of sabotage and drug abuse, the police officer added.