- BD won’t respond to Myanmar’s provocation: Quader
- New fires still torching Rohingya villages: Amnesty
- ‘Cattle thief’ lynched in Chuadanga
- ACC to hold mass hearing on Bholahat upazila admin
- Youth held with fake currency notes
- UN chief for implementing Annan commission’s report on Rakhine
- BNP blasts PM for not ‘denouncing’ Myanmar at UNGA
- ‘Rotten’ rice imported from Thailand, alleges BNP
- Swiss efforts to end illicit financial flows to be examined by UN expert
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test held
Drive in Satkhira; 29 held
In separate drives in different parts of the district from Monday night to Tuesday morning, police arrested 29 accused including a BNP leader on various charges.
The arrested BNP leader was identified as Dr. Shafiqul Islam, education affairs secretary of Jugikhali union unit BNP in Kalaroa upazila.
Of the arrestees, eight people were held from Sadar upazila, six from Kalaroa, three from Tala, two from Kaliganj, one from Shyamnagar, and five from Patkelghata upazilas, said Mizanur Rahman, an inspector of the Special Branch of police in Satkhira.
They are accused in different cases including acts of sabotage and drug abuse, the police officer added.