- BD children’s death to chemicals sprayed on fruit trees
- 2 held with huge explosives in Sylhet
- India removes entry, exit restrictions on BD nationals’ visas
- Speaker returns home from Vietnam
- Movement must in case of no dialogue: BNP
- Full text of Rajon murder verdict released
- Re-excavate canals before monsoon: JS body
- ACC to sue GM of Natore Palli Bidyut Samity-2
- Dhaka denounces Al-Aqsa Mosque closure, Friday prayer banning
- Proposal sent to SC for Barisal judge’s withdrawal
Govt giving false impression about GDP, alleges BNP
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Wednesday alleged that the government is deceiving people about the GDP growth rate with wrong statistics.
“People are given wrong statistics to win their support. Awami League is saying the GDP growth rate will hit 7.24 percent this fiscal year. But economists and the World Bank are saying the GDP growth rate won’t be more than 6.8 percent,” he said.
Speaking at a discussion, the BNP leader further said, “It’s possible only for Awami League to deceive people by giving them wrong information.”
Bangladesh Labour Party organised the programme at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity (DRU), marking its founder Moulana Abdul Matin’s 22nd death anniversary.
Fakhrul questioned how the GDP growth rate could be 7.24 percent when there is no investment in the country, remittance flow decreased and export earrings from RMG sector marked a fall. “They’re fooling people with false statistics to cling to power.”