- Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar
- Why AL ‘fears’ fair polls, wonders BNP
- Khaleda seeking steps against jr minister for ‘contemptuous’ comment
- 2 workers die falling off Ctg building
- Stop PM from engaging in unilateral campaign: BNP to EC
- Joypurhat road accident kills two
- Pro-AL panel sweeps DU registered graduate polls
- Bill passed to reduce wastage of water
- Half of unpaid wages of jute workers to be cleared: Minister
- Software to say goodbye to tax hassles
Govt giving false impression about GDP, alleges BNP
BNP secretary general Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir on Wednesday alleged that the government is deceiving people about the GDP growth rate with wrong statistics.
“People are given wrong statistics to win their support. Awami League is saying the GDP growth rate will hit 7.24 percent this fiscal year. But economists and the World Bank are saying the GDP growth rate won’t be more than 6.8 percent,” he said.
Speaking at a discussion, the BNP leader further said, “It’s possible only for Awami League to deceive people by giving them wrong information.”
Bangladesh Labour Party organised the programme at Dhaka Reporters’ Unity (DRU), marking its founder Moulana Abdul Matin’s 22nd death anniversary.
Fakhrul questioned how the GDP growth rate could be 7.24 percent when there is no investment in the country, remittance flow decreased and export earrings from RMG sector marked a fall. “They’re fooling people with false statistics to cling to power.”