- BD children’s death to chemicals sprayed on fruit trees
- 2 held with huge explosives in Sylhet
- India removes entry, exit restrictions on BD nationals’ visas
- Speaker returns home from Vietnam
- Movement must in case of no dialogue: BNP
- Full text of Rajon murder verdict released
- Re-excavate canals before monsoon: JS body
- ACC to sue GM of Natore Palli Bidyut Samity-2
- Dhaka denounces Al-Aqsa Mosque closure, Friday prayer banning
- Proposal sent to SC for Barisal judge’s withdrawal
'Uday Shankar Library' inaugurated at DU
A renovated reading room-cum-library hall, named after Uday Shankar, was inaugurated at Dhaka University’s Dance Department on Thursday.
Dhaka University Vice Chancellor Prof Dr AAMS Arefin Siddique, Indian High Commissioner in Dhaka Harsh Vardhan Shringla, DU Pro-VC (Education) Prof Nasrin Ahmad and Pro-Vice Chancellor (Admin) Dr Md Akhtaruzzaman and Head of the Dance Department Prof Rezwana Choudhury Bannya also spoke at the function.
The Indian High Commissioner said India will remain supportive to the Dhaka University. “And our support, especially to the dance, music, art and Hindi departments, will continue.”
He hoped that the inauguration of the new facilities at the Dance Department will be very useful for students to hone their skill and talents in their chosen fields of art.
The High Commissioner said the project was announced by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Dhaka in June, 2015. Its work started in November 2015.
“I’m very happy to see that the project has come to fruition today,” he said adding that reading room-cum-library hall, named after Uday Shankar, symbolises the close connections both the countries share in the sphere of art and culture.