- Statue reinstalled in front of SC annex building
- IBBL organises conference on ‘business development’ in Sylhet
- Cop-JU student clash injures 20 over death of JU students
- Two-day Int’l Conf on Computational Mathematics begins at DU
- Safe Motherhood Day Sunday
- Cousins drown in a pond in Comilla
- Bangladesh produces record 9358MW electricity
- FF commander among 2 killed in Gopalganj road crash
- 500 more beds to be added at NICVD: Nasim
- Transport workers block roads in Jamalpur for 5 hrs
'Uday Shankar Library' inaugurated at DU
A renovated reading room-cum-library hall, named after Uday Shankar, was inaugurated at Dhaka University’s Dance Department on Thursday.
Dhaka University Vice Chancellor Prof Dr AAMS Arefin Siddique, Indian High Commissioner in Dhaka Harsh Vardhan Shringla, DU Pro-VC (Education) Prof Nasrin Ahmad and Pro-Vice Chancellor (Admin) Dr Md Akhtaruzzaman and Head of the Dance Department Prof Rezwana Choudhury Bannya also spoke at the function.
The Indian High Commissioner said India will remain supportive to the Dhaka University. “And our support, especially to the dance, music, art and Hindi departments, will continue.”
He hoped that the inauguration of the new facilities at the Dance Department will be very useful for students to hone their skill and talents in their chosen fields of art.
The High Commissioner said the project was announced by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Dhaka in June, 2015. Its work started in November 2015.
“I’m very happy to see that the project has come to fruition today,” he said adding that reading room-cum-library hall, named after Uday Shankar, symbolises the close connections both the countries share in the sphere of art and culture.