- Students clash with police at Shahbagh demanding exam dates
- 5 SC lawyers exempted from contempt rule
- Rain disrupts city life
- 12 held at Benapole while trying to cross border illegally
- 5 members of ‘rapist gang’ held in city
- Comilla couple electrocuted
- BNP for constitutional amendment for polls under neutral govt
- 4-day training on technical analysis at DSE from Aug 7
- Youth to die for killing minor girl after rape in Kushtia
- EC plans to use DVMs in few wards in Rangpur city election
Food Minister ‘lying’ over extent of crop damage in flood: BNP
BNP on Thursday alleged that Food Minister Quamrul Islam resorted to a blatant lie over the extent of damage of crops in flood-affected haor areas.
“The Food Minister two days back said only three percent crops--six lakh metric tonnes of paddy--have been damaged in haor areas by flood and another seven lakh metric tonnes paddy have been damaged for various reasons. I would like to say Quamrul Islam spread blatant lies over the crop damage in haor regions,” said BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi.
Speaking at a press briefing at BNP’s Nayapaltan central office, he also said, “There’s no similarity between the minister’s statistics and the reality. Almost entire crops in haor areas have got damaged.”
The BNP leader also criticised the government for what he said its failure to keep the rice market stable over the last nine years.