- Statue reinstalled in front of SC annex building
- IBBL organises conference on ‘business development’ in Sylhet
- Cop-JU student clash injures 20 over death of JU students
- Two-day Int’l Conf on Computational Mathematics begins at DU
- Safe Motherhood Day Sunday
- Cousins drown in a pond in Comilla
- Bangladesh produces record 9358MW electricity
- FF commander among 2 killed in Gopalganj road crash
- 500 more beds to be added at NICVD: Nasim
- Transport workers block roads in Jamalpur for 5 hrs
Food Minister ‘lying’ over extent of crop damage in flood: BNP
BNP on Thursday alleged that Food Minister Quamrul Islam resorted to a blatant lie over the extent of damage of crops in flood-affected haor areas.
“The Food Minister two days back said only three percent crops--six lakh metric tonnes of paddy--have been damaged in haor areas by flood and another seven lakh metric tonnes paddy have been damaged for various reasons. I would like to say Quamrul Islam spread blatant lies over the crop damage in haor regions,” said BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi.
Speaking at a press briefing at BNP’s Nayapaltan central office, he also said, “There’s no similarity between the minister’s statistics and the reality. Almost entire crops in haor areas have got damaged.”
The BNP leader also criticised the government for what he said its failure to keep the rice market stable over the last nine years.