- BD won’t respond to Myanmar’s provocation: Quader
- New fires still torching Rohingya villages: Amnesty
- ‘Cattle thief’ lynched in Chuadanga
- ACC to hold mass hearing on Bholahat upazila admin
- Youth held with fake currency notes
- UN chief for implementing Annan commission’s report on Rakhine
- BNP blasts PM for not ‘denouncing’ Myanmar at UNGA
- ‘Rotten’ rice imported from Thailand, alleges BNP
- Swiss efforts to end illicit financial flows to be examined by UN expert
- DU ‘Kha’ unit admission test held
One killed in clash over land in Sunamganj
A youth was killed and 15 others sustained injuries in a clash over land in Jauya area of Chhatak upazila on Thursday morning.
The deceased was identified as Hafiz Abu Sayed, 25, son of Abdul Qaiyum, a resident of Habidpur village of the upazila.
M Barkatullah Khan, Superintendent of Police in Sunamganj, said there was a long-standing dispute between Abdul Wadud of Jauyabazar Kunapara and Abdul Kahar of Habidpur village over land properties.
Sequel to the dispute, the groups locked into an altercation around 11am. At one stage, both groups equipped with lethal weapons attacked each other, leaving 16 including Hafiz injured.
Later, the injured were rushed to Osmani Medical College Hospital in Sylhet where Hafiz succumbed to his injuries, SP Barkatullah added.