- DU ‘Gha’ unit entry test results in afternoon
- Full HC verdict against Oishee published
- Oct 1-13 remittance earnings $566.57mn
- Hasina to Guterres: ‘Put more pressure on Myanmar’
- Country needs more CAs as economy growing fast: ICAB chief
- Only 10 parties seek army deployment with magistracy power
- Don’t pick persons linked to politics as polls observer: CEC
- Sushma Swaraj in city
- Relentless rains cripple life in city, elsewhere
- Section 144 imposed in Thakurgaon
DU students demand justice for Afia
Scores of students of Dhaka University staged a protest in front of the Raju Memorial Sculpture on the campus on Wednesday demanding punishment of those who were involved in the medical ‘malpractice’ that caused death of Afia Jahan Chaity, a first year student of Zoology Department of the university.
Over thousand students from different departments, institutes and halls formed a human chain protesting the death of their fellow Afia, 20, due to alleged wrong treatment in city’s Central Hospital on May 18.
Zoology Department Professor Dr Niamul Naser said, “Afia was admitted to the Central Hospital with pneumonia. Later, the hospital authorities diagnosed her with cancer. The mystery has been created about the death of Afia as reason of her death was not confirmed in the death certificate. We want trial of those who were involved in the negligence in treatment.”