- Lovers found hanging with a single rope
- 32 shanties gutted in Ctg fire
- BNP leader Taimur arrested
- Govt’s vindictive attitude alarming: Khaleda
- British firm likely to get deal for extra 5 million MRP
- 10 DU students hurt as BCL sweeps VC office siege
- Alorito-30 observes ‘Batch Day’ at IU
- Cop ’commits suicide’ at Ctg Police Lines
- PM for quick repatriation of Rohingyas
- UN seeks environment in Rakhine for Rohingya repatriation
DU students demand justice for Afia
Scores of students of Dhaka University staged a protest in front of the Raju Memorial Sculpture on the campus on Wednesday demanding punishment of those who were involved in the medical ‘malpractice’ that caused death of Afia Jahan Chaity, a first year student of Zoology Department of the university.
Over thousand students from different departments, institutes and halls formed a human chain protesting the death of their fellow Afia, 20, due to alleged wrong treatment in city’s Central Hospital on May 18.
Zoology Department Professor Dr Niamul Naser said, “Afia was admitted to the Central Hospital with pneumonia. Later, the hospital authorities diagnosed her with cancer. The mystery has been created about the death of Afia as reason of her death was not confirmed in the death certificate. We want trial of those who were involved in the negligence in treatment.”