- 7-murder: HC confirms death penalty of Nur, 14 others
- SC stays HC order over law secy’s contractual appointment
- Shujan suggests dissolution of parliament for level-playing field
- People pay last tributes to beloved actor Razzak
- PM gives assistance to 6 arson attack victims’ families
- HC delivering verdict on N’ganj 7-murder
- JS awaits debate on SC verdict as it goes into session Sept 10
- Cattle entry from India, Myanmar looks fairly good ahead of eid
- People to pay last respects to ‘Nayakraj’ at FDC, Shaheed Minar
- Shamim Osman skewers CJ’s Pakistan reference
Cop-JU student clash injures 20 over death of JU students
At least 20 students of Jahangirnagar University (JU) were injured in a clash with police during protesting the death two students of the university on Dhaka-Aricha Highway, on the outskirts of the capital, here on Saturday afternoon.
Witnesses said hundreds of students gathered on the highway in dairy gate area of the university around 12pm and staged the demonstration blocking the road in protest of the death of their fellows.
The blockade created long tailbacks, causing immense sufferings to the passengers for nearly five hours.
The clash ensued when a police team tried to disperse the protesting students from the road around 5pm.
The students also locked into chase and counter-chase with police as the protesters threw brick chips towards police.
Police fired teargas canisters and rubber bullets to bring the situation under control, leaving 20 students, including a journalist, injured.