- Lovers found hanging with a single rope
- 32 shanties gutted in Ctg fire
- BNP leader Taimur arrested
- Govt’s vindictive attitude alarming: Khaleda
- British firm likely to get deal for extra 5 million MRP
- 10 DU students hurt as BCL sweeps VC office siege
- Alorito-30 observes ‘Batch Day’ at IU
- Cop ’commits suicide’ at Ctg Police Lines
- PM for quick repatriation of Rohingyas
- UN seeks environment in Rakhine for Rohingya repatriation
Cop-JU student clash injures 20 over death of JU students
At least 20 students of Jahangirnagar University (JU) were injured in a clash with police during protesting the death two students of the university on Dhaka-Aricha Highway, on the outskirts of the capital, here on Saturday afternoon.
Witnesses said hundreds of students gathered on the highway in dairy gate area of the university around 12pm and staged the demonstration blocking the road in protest of the death of their fellows.
The blockade created long tailbacks, causing immense sufferings to the passengers for nearly five hours.
The clash ensued when a police team tried to disperse the protesting students from the road around 5pm.
The students also locked into chase and counter-chase with police as the protesters threw brick chips towards police.
Police fired teargas canisters and rubber bullets to bring the situation under control, leaving 20 students, including a journalist, injured.