- DU ‘Gha’ unit entry test results in afternoon
- Full HC verdict against Oishee published
- Oct 1-13 remittance earnings $566.57mn
- Hasina to Guterres: ‘Put more pressure on Myanmar’
- Country needs more CAs as economy growing fast: ICAB chief
- Only 10 parties seek army deployment with magistracy power
- Don’t pick persons linked to politics as polls observer: CEC
- Sushma Swaraj in city
- Relentless rains cripple life in city, elsewhere
- Section 144 imposed in Thakurgaon
CU Chhatra Union leader held for ‘hurting religious sentiment’
Police arrested a female leader of Chittagong University (CU) unit of Chhatra Union on Friday on charge of ‘hurting people’s religious sentiment’ by posting a status on social media site - Facebook.
Officer-in-charge of Kotwali Police Station Abdur Rashid said police arrested Chaina Patwari, cultural affairs secretary of Arts Faculty unit of Chhatra Union of CU, from Rangamati district town.
Later, the court of Rangamati Judicial Magistrate Jhumu Sarkar sent her to jail rejecting bail petition after police produced her before the court in the afternoon.
Chaina, hailing from Swarnatila of Rangamati district town, has recently posted a status on Facebook making a disparaging remark on ‘Allah’, said OC Rashid.
As the Facebook status went viral, tension escalated in Rangamati district town and Muslim devotees staged demonstration after Jumma prayer yesterday demanding immediate arrest of China, the OC added.