- No Hasina-led supportive govt: BNP
- Gold trader chopped dead in Khulna
- Gas crisis in CNG stations temporary: Nasrul
- Nahid for expanding technical education
- Boy tortured on theft charge in Habiganj
- Khaleda to take part in next general polls under Hasina-led govt:
- 4 fishermen kidnapped in Bhola
- Militancy big barrier to development: PM
- BGB man goes missing in Teesta
- 2 killed in Mymensingh road crash
CU Chhatra Union leader held for ‘hurting religious sentiment’
Police arrested a female leader of Chittagong University (CU) unit of Chhatra Union on Friday on charge of ‘hurting people’s religious sentiment’ by posting a status on social media site - Facebook.
Officer-in-charge of Kotwali Police Station Abdur Rashid said police arrested Chaina Patwari, cultural affairs secretary of Arts Faculty unit of Chhatra Union of CU, from Rangamati district town.
Later, the court of Rangamati Judicial Magistrate Jhumu Sarkar sent her to jail rejecting bail petition after police produced her before the court in the afternoon.
Chaina, hailing from Swarnatila of Rangamati district town, has recently posted a status on Facebook making a disparaging remark on ‘Allah’, said OC Rashid.
As the Facebook status went viral, tension escalated in Rangamati district town and Muslim devotees staged demonstration after Jumma prayer yesterday demanding immediate arrest of China, the OC added.