- 7-murder: HC confirms death penalty of Nur, 14 others
- SC stays HC order over law secy’s contractual appointment
- Shujan suggests dissolution of parliament for level-playing field
- People pay last tributes to beloved actor Razzak
- PM gives assistance to 6 arson attack victims’ families
- HC delivering verdict on N’ganj 7-murder
- JS awaits debate on SC verdict as it goes into session Sept 10
- Cattle entry from India, Myanmar looks fairly good ahead of eid
- People to pay last respects to ‘Nayakraj’ at FDC, Shaheed Minar
- Shamim Osman skewers CJ’s Pakistan reference
CU Chhatra Union leader held for ‘hurting religious sentiment’
Police arrested a female leader of Chittagong University (CU) unit of Chhatra Union on Friday on charge of ‘hurting people’s religious sentiment’ by posting a status on social media site - Facebook.
Officer-in-charge of Kotwali Police Station Abdur Rashid said police arrested Chaina Patwari, cultural affairs secretary of Arts Faculty unit of Chhatra Union of CU, from Rangamati district town.
Later, the court of Rangamati Judicial Magistrate Jhumu Sarkar sent her to jail rejecting bail petition after police produced her before the court in the afternoon.
Chaina, hailing from Swarnatila of Rangamati district town, has recently posted a status on Facebook making a disparaging remark on ‘Allah’, said OC Rashid.
As the Facebook status went viral, tension escalated in Rangamati district town and Muslim devotees staged demonstration after Jumma prayer yesterday demanding immediate arrest of China, the OC added.