- Lovers found hanging with a single rope
- 32 shanties gutted in Ctg fire
- BNP leader Taimur arrested
- Govt’s vindictive attitude alarming: Khaleda
- British firm likely to get deal for extra 5 million MRP
- 10 DU students hurt as BCL sweeps VC office siege
- Alorito-30 observes ‘Batch Day’ at IU
- Cop ’commits suicide’ at Ctg Police Lines
- PM for quick repatriation of Rohingyas
- UN seeks environment in Rakhine for Rohingya repatriation
CU Chhatra Union leader held for ‘hurting religious sentiment’
Police arrested a female leader of Chittagong University (CU) unit of Chhatra Union on Friday on charge of ‘hurting people’s religious sentiment’ by posting a status on social media site - Facebook.
Officer-in-charge of Kotwali Police Station Abdur Rashid said police arrested Chaina Patwari, cultural affairs secretary of Arts Faculty unit of Chhatra Union of CU, from Rangamati district town.
Later, the court of Rangamati Judicial Magistrate Jhumu Sarkar sent her to jail rejecting bail petition after police produced her before the court in the afternoon.
Chaina, hailing from Swarnatila of Rangamati district town, has recently posted a status on Facebook making a disparaging remark on ‘Allah’, said OC Rashid.
As the Facebook status went viral, tension escalated in Rangamati district town and Muslim devotees staged demonstration after Jumma prayer yesterday demanding immediate arrest of China, the OC added.