- Lovers found hanging with a single rope
- 32 shanties gutted in Ctg fire
- BNP leader Taimur arrested
- Govt’s vindictive attitude alarming: Khaleda
- British firm likely to get deal for extra 5 million MRP
- 10 DU students hurt as BCL sweeps VC office siege
- Alorito-30 observes ‘Batch Day’ at IU
- Cop ’commits suicide’ at Ctg Police Lines
- PM for quick repatriation of Rohingyas
- UN seeks environment in Rakhine for Rohingya repatriation
Landslides latest update: Death toll crosses 153
Another body has been recovered in Rangamati, raising the death toll in the fatal landslides in the hill district, Bandarban, Khagrachhari, Chittagong and Cox’s Bazar districts to 153.
The body was recovered Friday morning, reports our Rangamati correspondent Bijoy Dhar.
However, the identity of the deceased could not be ascertained yet.
Confirming the death toll, Rangamati Fire Service Deputy Assistant Direction Didar Alam said: “We have recovered another body in the morning. A total of 111 bodies have been recovered so far.”
Three bodies, including the one belonging to army soldier Md Azizur Rahman, were recovered on Thursday. Azizur had been missing since Tuesday when the landslides occurred.
Five other army men were killed and 10 others were injured in the landslide in Rangamati’s Manikchhari area.
The district administration, which asked people living in risky hill areas to move to safer places, on Thursday said a further seven to eight people are still missing.
An emergency monitoring cell has been opened at the deputy commissioner’s office.
The rescuers comprising members of the army and fire service will continue their operation Friday (today) as well.