- DU ‘Gha’ unit entry test results in afternoon
- Full HC verdict against Oishee published
- Oct 1-13 remittance earnings $566.57mn
- Hasina to Guterres: ‘Put more pressure on Myanmar’
- Country needs more CAs as economy growing fast: ICAB chief
- Only 10 parties seek army deployment with magistracy power
- Don’t pick persons linked to politics as polls observer: CEC
- Sushma Swaraj in city
- Relentless rains cripple life in city, elsewhere
- Section 144 imposed in Thakurgaon
Khaleda deplores attack on Fakhrul, BNP to stage nationwide demo Monday
BNP has announced it will stage a countrywide demonstration on Monday to protest the attack on the motorcade of its Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir en route to Rangamati.
BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi made the announcement during a press briefing in Comilla on Sunday, after appearing before a court in a case filed there.
Rizvi accused the ruling party of attacking Fakhrul, saying Awami League men carried out the attack to cover up their failure to help and rescue landslide victims in Chittagong Hill Tracts.
Meanwhile, in an immediate reaction to the incident, BNP staged a demonstration in front of the party’s Nayapaltan headquarters on Sunday around 2:30pm.
BNP sources claimed that the police detained four protestors from the spot. Rafiqul Islam, officer-in-charge of Paltan police station, said they arrested five people in previously filed cases.
“We saw the five men there and detained them as there were cases against them,” Rafiqul added.
Khaleda deplores the attackDenouncing the attack, BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia said this was an attack on democracy, politics, human rights and indispensable tolerance.I don’t have words forceful enough to denounce the heinous, cowardly & shocking attack on BNP secretary general & other leader.