- If Zia’s rule is ‘illegal’ so is AL’s: BNP
- 46,664 pilgrims yet to travel to Saudi: Biman
- Poacher held with deer skin in Bagerhat
- FF beaten dead in Magura
- Elderly man found dead in Comilla
- Imran Sarkar attacked again
- Tk 1725cr railway project eyes to boost BD-India connectivity
- Bourses end week in red
- Fresh move on to bring multinational companies to share market
- Youth dies from electrocution at Benapole
Khaleda deplores attack on Fakhrul, BNP to stage nationwide demo Monday
BNP has announced it will stage a countrywide demonstration on Monday to protest the attack on the motorcade of its Secretary General Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir en route to Rangamati.
BNP Senior Joint Secretary General Ruhul Kabir Rizvi made the announcement during a press briefing in Comilla on Sunday, after appearing before a court in a case filed there.
Rizvi accused the ruling party of attacking Fakhrul, saying Awami League men carried out the attack to cover up their failure to help and rescue landslide victims in Chittagong Hill Tracts.
Meanwhile, in an immediate reaction to the incident, BNP staged a demonstration in front of the party’s Nayapaltan headquarters on Sunday around 2:30pm.
BNP sources claimed that the police detained four protestors from the spot. Rafiqul Islam, officer-in-charge of Paltan police station, said they arrested five people in previously filed cases.
“We saw the five men there and detained them as there were cases against them,” Rafiqul added.
Khaleda deplores the attackDenouncing the attack, BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia said this was an attack on democracy, politics, human rights and indispensable tolerance.I don’t have words forceful enough to denounce the heinous, cowardly & shocking attack on BNP secretary general & other leader.