- No Hasina-led supportive govt: BNP
- Gold trader chopped dead in Khulna
- Gas crisis in CNG stations temporary: Nasrul
- Nahid for expanding technical education
- Boy tortured on theft charge in Habiganj
- Khaleda to take part in next general polls under Hasina-led govt:
- 4 fishermen kidnapped in Bhola
- Militancy big barrier to development: PM
- BGB man goes missing in Teesta
- 2 killed in Mymensingh road crash
Online media to be regulated by National Broadcast Commission
The Cabinet has approved the draft of National Online Mass Media Guideline keeping the provision that the country’s online news media will be regulated by the National Broadcast Commission.
The draft was approved in a regular Cabinet meeting at parliament on Monday with Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina in chair.
Speaking to reporters after the meeting, Cabinet Secretary Mohammad Shafiul Alam said though around 1,800 online media had applied for registration with the Press Information Department, they would be regulated by the broadcast commission.
“The existing print or electronic media who have already acquired the approval under the Press and Publication Act 1973 will not need any new approval, even if the media organisation has an online version,” he said. “However, the media authorities are to inform the commission about their online versions. If any online media organisation violates the guidelines or human rights, the victims can file a complaint to the commission and it will take actions accordingly.”