- Folk singer Bari Siddiqui no more
- Jt working group to implement instrument with Myanmar: Shahriar
- 47 rivers dredged in 8 yrs: Shipping Minister
- Asst train driver killed in Gazipur train-truck collision
- Train derailment in northern India kills 3, hurts 13 others
- Left parties call hartal on Nov 30 protesting power tariff hike
- One killed in Khilgaon police firing
- Board mill catches fire in Rangpur
- 9 held while giving proxy in PSC exams in Sherpur
- Jessore journo’s throat slashed
Holidaymakers’ sufferings: BNP demands Quader’s removal
BNP on Saturday demanded the resignation of Road Transport and Bridges Minister Obaidul Quader for his ‘failure’ to ensure smooth journeys for holidaymakers ahead of Eid-ul-Fitr.
“The sufferings the home-goers facing are indescribable. The minister (Quader) has utterly failed…we think he is mainly responsible for the public sufferings, and he should step down,” said BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi.
He came up with remarks at a press conference at BNP’s Nayapaltan central office.
The BNP leader said people are going through immense sufferings on their way to home due to rundown highways, mismanagement, exorbitant transport fares and unabated extortion on roads.
Referring to Quader’s comment that people are going home smoothly without facing any tailback, Rizvi said the minister made the remark to hide his failures. “He also mocked the sufferers with his comment. We think he’s resorting to such falsehood only to protect his cabinet membership by appeasing the Prime Minister.”