- Islami Bank gets award for highest remittance collection
- Memorial meeting on noted personalities of Bengali Literature
- Force Myanmar to take back Rohingyas, PM to IOM DG
- Female prisoner dies at Kashimpur jail
- President assents to 2 bills
- Govt to aid Rohingas until their return: Maya
- PM woos US investors; promises protection
- Padma Oil ex-MD held in city
- 9 killed in Rohinga relief-laden truck plunge
- PM for deeper understanding within South
Khaleda to take part in next general polls under Hasina-led govt:
Commerce Minister Tofail Ahmed on Wednesday said BNP Chairperson Khaleda Zia will take part in the next general elections under the government led by Sheikh Hasina.
“I can assure you that Khaleda Zia will take part in the next general election under the Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina-led government as she has no other alternative,” said Tofail while talking to reporters at his Secretariat office after the eid vacation.
“The next general election will be held in 2019 under the Sheikh Hasina-led government as in most of the countries, ruling government holds general election.
Recent elections in UK and USA also were held under the ruling government,” he added.
“According to the constitution, the Election Commission will supervise the election and the polls-time government will provide them necessary support.
Sheikh Hasina will lead the polls-time government and there is no room for others,” said Tofail.
“The next general election will be held in a free, fair and inclusive manner.
Whoever wants to take part in the election or not is a concern of the EC,” the minister added.