- Folk singer Bari Siddiqui no more
- Jt working group to implement instrument with Myanmar: Shahriar
- 47 rivers dredged in 8 yrs: Shipping Minister
- Asst train driver killed in Gazipur train-truck collision
- Train derailment in northern India kills 3, hurts 13 others
- Left parties call hartal on Nov 30 protesting power tariff hike
- One killed in Khilgaon police firing
- Board mill catches fire in Rangpur
- 9 held while giving proxy in PSC exams in Sherpur
- Jessore journo’s throat slashed
AL, JaPa’s no comment now on 16th Amendment verdict
Though BNP hailed the Supreme Court (SC) verdict that upheld the High Court verdict declaring the 16th constitutional amendment illegal, Awami League and Jatiya Party opted to wait for making comments on it until they receive its full text.
“I was at the cabinet meeting when the verdict was pronounced. We’ll come up with our party’s reaction to the verdict once we get a copy of its full text,” said Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader.
Quader, also the Road Transport and Bridges Minister, came up with the remarks while talking to reporters after paying homage to educationist and musicologist Dr Karunamoy Goswami at the Central Shaheed Minar. Earlier, Jatiya Party secrteray general Ruhul Amin Hawlader said they will give their party’s reaction to the verdict after seeing its full text.
“It’s a sensitive verdict. The entire nation had been waiting for it. So, we want to make comment on it after examining the full verdict,” he said after a joint meeting of the party at its chairman’s Banani office.
Earlier in the day, the SC upheld the High Court verdict that annulled parliament's powers to impeach Supreme judges declaring the 16th amendment to the Constitution illegal.
BNP, however, welcomed the verdict, saying it is a victory of people.
“The government’s plot to grab the judiciary has been foiled with the apex court’s decision. We welcome and hail it,” said senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi at a press conference at the party’s Nayapaltan central office.