- PM slams judiciary for ‘wasting’ time with ‘silly’ matters
- Khaleda sits with her advisers
- BNP picks Babla for Rangpur city polls
- Australia to help BD for safe return of Rohingyas
- Khaleda must join polls under Hasina, says Shajahan
- Sheikh Hasina University Bill placed in JS
- Buet students to return to classes Saturday
- 5th Management Week begins at JU Wednesday
- Street movement if no understanding over polls, warns BNP
- IBBL receives highest taxpayer award
EC doesn’t belong to any particular party: Shahadat
The Election Commission will ensure a level-playing field for all the political parties ahead of the next general election, said Election Commissioner Brig Gen (retd) Shahadat Hossain Chowdhury on Wednesday.
“The Election Commission doesn’t belong to any particular party. It’s neutral. So, the Commission will surely ensure equal facilities to those who’ll participate in the election,” he told reporters at his office.
Emphasising that no particular party will get extra facilities in the election, he said, “We’ll do whatever is needed to create the environment so that all the parties can seek votes.”
Mentioning that the EC has so far faced no pressure from any quarter, he said the government will continue its cooperation to the Election Commission.
“My belief is there’ll be no pressure on us. If any pressure comes, we’re determined to only accept the logical one remaining within our jurisdiction,” Shahadat said.
The Commission will be able to present a fair election to the nation by taking steps considering the situation, the Election Commissioner said.
“We’ve the preparation for this. We’ll neutrally perform our duties, no matter whatever the situation arises. My belief is we’ll be able to present a fair election…,” he added.