- Withdraw case filed against students: BNP
- Muggers loot mobile phone shop in Bogra
- AL factional clash injures 20 in Bianibazar
- Quarterfinals of Inter-University Football on Sunday
- Warrant issued against sub-inspector for dowry torture
- Woman hacked dead by ‘drug addict’ husband in N’ganj
- Eden College students’ protest in solidarity with DU affiliates
- Enamur’s ‘confession’ proves govt behind extrajudicial killings: BNP
- UP chairman killed in Sirajganj road crash
- Nahid for skilled manpower to explore, protect marine resources
EC doesn’t belong to any particular party: Shahadat
The Election Commission will ensure a level-playing field for all the political parties ahead of the next general election, said Election Commissioner Brig Gen (retd) Shahadat Hossain Chowdhury on Wednesday.
“The Election Commission doesn’t belong to any particular party. It’s neutral. So, the Commission will surely ensure equal facilities to those who’ll participate in the election,” he told reporters at his office.
Emphasising that no particular party will get extra facilities in the election, he said, “We’ll do whatever is needed to create the environment so that all the parties can seek votes.”
Mentioning that the EC has so far faced no pressure from any quarter, he said the government will continue its cooperation to the Election Commission.
“My belief is there’ll be no pressure on us. If any pressure comes, we’re determined to only accept the logical one remaining within our jurisdiction,” Shahadat said.
The Commission will be able to present a fair election to the nation by taking steps considering the situation, the Election Commissioner said.
“We’ve the preparation for this. We’ll neutrally perform our duties, no matter whatever the situation arises. My belief is we’ll be able to present a fair election…,” he added.