- PM slams judiciary for ‘wasting’ time with ‘silly’ matters
- Khaleda sits with her advisers
- BNP picks Babla for Rangpur city polls
- Australia to help BD for safe return of Rohingyas
- Khaleda must join polls under Hasina, says Shajahan
- Sheikh Hasina University Bill placed in JS
- Buet students to return to classes Saturday
- 5th Management Week begins at JU Wednesday
- Street movement if no understanding over polls, warns BNP
- IBBL receives highest taxpayer award
Law & order on downslide, alleges BNP
BNP on Thursday alleged that the incidents of enforced disappearance, abduction, illegal detention and extrajudicial killing are rising in a geometric rate since the Awami League government assumed office in 2009.
“People are being subjected to enforced disappearance or missing after criticising the government as primitive inhumanity has grasped the country,” said BNP senior joint secretary general Ruhul Kabir Rizvi.
He came up with the comments while speaking at a press briefing at BNP’s Nayapaltan central office.
The BNP leader said the people of all walks of life, including political leaders, writers, poets, and human rights activists, labour leaders and professionals and common ones, have long been affected with the misrule of the current government.
“People have been kept confined to secret places for years. The bodies of some captive people have been found in canals, water bodies or alongside roads with decomposed faces,” he observed.
Rizvi alleged that people are passing their days with fear and worry following the repeated incidents of abduction and extrajudicial killing. Accusing the government of having link to the abduction of poet and writer Farhad Mazhar, he said the government is now trying to hush up the incident.
Referring to Human Rights Watch’s report that law enforcers have detained hundreds of people in secret locations since 2013, Rizvi said people here now are confined to a poisonous cage of the government’s misrule.
He said there is no alternative to carrying out an international investigation into the incidents of enforced disappearance and extrajudicial killings to ensure justice for the victims and security for people.