- Islami Bank gets award for highest remittance collection
- Memorial meeting on noted personalities of Bengali Literature
- Force Myanmar to take back Rohingyas, PM to IOM DG
- Female prisoner dies at Kashimpur jail
- President assents to 2 bills
- Govt to aid Rohingas until their return: Maya
- PM woos US investors; promises protection
- Padma Oil ex-MD held in city
- 9 killed in Rohinga relief-laden truck plunge
- PM for deeper understanding within South
GCC mayor Mannan challenges suspension order
Suspended Gazipur City Corporation Mayor MA Mannan filed a writ petition with the High Court on Sunday morning challenging the government order over his suspension for the third time.
Advocate Abu Hanif, counsel of Mannan, filed the petition on behalf of the GCC mayor.
A hearing over the writ petition will be held at the court of Justice Syed Muhammad Dastagir Husain and Justice Md Ataur Rahman Khan in the afternoon, said Hanif.
On July 6, the government suspended Mannan after the mayor took his office barely 19 days following a court order.
The Local Government Division issued a notification in this regard as a lower court accepted charges against Mannan in a case filed by the Anti-Corruption Commission (ACC) for misusing power and embezzling state money.
Mannan took the charge of the city mayor on June 18, after 28 months of suspension, following an order of the Supreme Court.