- Withdraw case filed against students: BNP
- Muggers loot mobile phone shop in Bogra
- AL factional clash injures 20 in Bianibazar
- Quarterfinals of Inter-University Football on Sunday
- Warrant issued against sub-inspector for dowry torture
- Woman hacked dead by ‘drug addict’ husband in N’ganj
- Eden College students’ protest in solidarity with DU affiliates
- Enamur’s ‘confession’ proves govt behind extrajudicial killings: BNP
- UP chairman killed in Sirajganj road crash
- Nahid for skilled manpower to explore, protect marine resources
Death in road crash sparks protest in Habiganj
Locals blocked Dhaka-Sylhet highway at Bashina in Bahubal upazila of the district for two hours on Monday morning following death of a motorcyclist in a road accident.
The deceased was identified as Mozammel Haque, 25, an employee of SEMCO Company and hailed from Shah Paran area of Sylhet.
Police said a vehicle hit Mozammel’s motorbike in the morning, leaving him injured.
The injured was taken to Habiganj Hospital by a police car where doctors declared him dead.
Locals claimed that the youth was killed after being hit by a police car and blocked the highway protesting the accident, disrupting vehicular movement for two hours.
Senior Assistant Superintendent of Habiganj Police Raselur Rahman said on information, Superintendent of Habiganj Police Joydev Kumar Bhadra, Upazila Nirbahi Officer Jasim Uddin, rushed to spot and brought the situation under control.
Traffic movement on the highway retuned to normalcy at 11:00am, he added.