- Remain alert about behaviour, attitude, PM tells party men
- S Korea to provide $1.5 mn for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- Rohingya crisis: BNP says PM failed to convince global leaders
- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
Death in road crash sparks protest in Habiganj
Locals blocked Dhaka-Sylhet highway at Bashina in Bahubal upazila of the district for two hours on Monday morning following death of a motorcyclist in a road accident.
The deceased was identified as Mozammel Haque, 25, an employee of SEMCO Company and hailed from Shah Paran area of Sylhet.
Police said a vehicle hit Mozammel’s motorbike in the morning, leaving him injured.
The injured was taken to Habiganj Hospital by a police car where doctors declared him dead.
Locals claimed that the youth was killed after being hit by a police car and blocked the highway protesting the accident, disrupting vehicular movement for two hours.
Senior Assistant Superintendent of Habiganj Police Raselur Rahman said on information, Superintendent of Habiganj Police Joydev Kumar Bhadra, Upazila Nirbahi Officer Jasim Uddin, rushed to spot and brought the situation under control.
Traffic movement on the highway retuned to normalcy at 11:00am, he added.