- Withdraw case filed against students: BNP
- Muggers loot mobile phone shop in Bogra
- AL factional clash injures 20 in Bianibazar
- Quarterfinals of Inter-University Football on Sunday
- Warrant issued against sub-inspector for dowry torture
- Woman hacked dead by ‘drug addict’ husband in N’ganj
- Eden College students’ protest in solidarity with DU affiliates
- Enamur’s ‘confession’ proves govt behind extrajudicial killings: BNP
- UP chairman killed in Sirajganj road crash
- Nahid for skilled manpower to explore, protect marine resources
RU journo hurt in attack ‘by BCL men’
The Rajshahi University (RU) correspondent of a an English daily was injured in an attack allegedly by some leaders of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) in front of the university gate on Monday.
The victim was identified as Arafat Rahman, RU correspondent of the Daily Star.
Witnesses said Saiful Islam Bijoy, law affairs secretary of RU unit BCL, had an altercation with the supervisor of a bus of ‘Desh Travels’ in Comilla over fare.
As soon as the news spread, some BCL leaders and activists, numbering 10-12, vandalised the bus in front of the RU campus when it reached Rajshahi from Comilla.
As Arafat tried to take photo of the incident, the BCL men swooped on him and beat him up mercilessly, leaving him critically injured.
Later, he was taken to Rajshahi Medical College Hospital.
Contacted, Humayun Kabir, officer-in-charge of Motihar Police Station, said police rescued the injured student from the area.