- Remain alert about behaviour, attitude, PM tells party men
- S Korea to provide $1.5 mn for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- Rohingya crisis: BNP says PM failed to convince global leaders
- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
RU journo hurt in attack ‘by BCL men’
The Rajshahi University (RU) correspondent of a an English daily was injured in an attack allegedly by some leaders of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) in front of the university gate on Monday.
The victim was identified as Arafat Rahman, RU correspondent of the Daily Star.
Witnesses said Saiful Islam Bijoy, law affairs secretary of RU unit BCL, had an altercation with the supervisor of a bus of ‘Desh Travels’ in Comilla over fare.
As soon as the news spread, some BCL leaders and activists, numbering 10-12, vandalised the bus in front of the RU campus when it reached Rajshahi from Comilla.
As Arafat tried to take photo of the incident, the BCL men swooped on him and beat him up mercilessly, leaving him critically injured.
Later, he was taken to Rajshahi Medical College Hospital.
Contacted, Humayun Kabir, officer-in-charge of Motihar Police Station, said police rescued the injured student from the area.