- PM admitted incidents of enforced disappearances, says BNP
- Egypt: Militants kill at least 235 in attack on Sinai mosque
- Zimbabwe's military swears loyalty to Mnangagwa
- Folk singer Bari Siddiqui no more
- Jt working group to implement instrument with Myanmar: Shahriar
- 47 rivers dredged in 8 yrs: Shipping Minister
- Asst train driver killed in Gazipur train-truck collision
- Train derailment in northern India kills 3, hurts 13 others
- Left parties call hartal on Nov 30 protesting power tariff hike
- One killed in Khilgaon police firing
RU journo hurt in attack ‘by BCL men’
The Rajshahi University (RU) correspondent of a an English daily was injured in an attack allegedly by some leaders of Bangladesh Chhatra League (BCL) in front of the university gate on Monday.
The victim was identified as Arafat Rahman, RU correspondent of the Daily Star.
Witnesses said Saiful Islam Bijoy, law affairs secretary of RU unit BCL, had an altercation with the supervisor of a bus of ‘Desh Travels’ in Comilla over fare.
As soon as the news spread, some BCL leaders and activists, numbering 10-12, vandalised the bus in front of the RU campus when it reached Rajshahi from Comilla.
As Arafat tried to take photo of the incident, the BCL men swooped on him and beat him up mercilessly, leaving him critically injured.
Later, he was taken to Rajshahi Medical College Hospital.
Contacted, Humayun Kabir, officer-in-charge of Motihar Police Station, said police rescued the injured student from the area.