- Withdraw case filed against students: BNP
- Muggers loot mobile phone shop in Bogra
- AL factional clash injures 20 in Bianibazar
- Quarterfinals of Inter-University Football on Sunday
- Warrant issued against sub-inspector for dowry torture
- Woman hacked dead by ‘drug addict’ husband in N’ganj
- Eden College students’ protest in solidarity with DU affiliates
- Enamur’s ‘confession’ proves govt behind extrajudicial killings: BNP
- UP chairman killed in Sirajganj road crash
- Nahid for skilled manpower to explore, protect marine resources
NU VC faces contempt rule
The High Court on Tuesday issued a contempt of court rule against National University Vice Chancellor Dr Harun or Rashid for not complying with its order over the salary payment of a teacher.
An HC bench of Justice Md Ashfaqul Islam and Justice Ashish Ranjan Das passed the order following a petition.
The court also issued a rule asking the government to explain why legal action for contempt of court should not be taken against the VC. The court asked the VC to explain his role within two weeks.
Advocate Abdur Rob Chowdhury and Advocate Gias Uddin stood for the petitioner.
Hafizur Rahman, a National University lecturer, filed a writ petition with the High Court in 2016 for not paying him salary under the National Pay Scale in 1997, 2005, 2009 and 2015.
During hearing on the petition, the court asked the NU VC to provide the salary, but he did not take any step to comply with the court order.