- PM admitted incidents of enforced disappearances, says BNP
- Egypt: Militants kill at least 235 in attack on Sinai mosque
- Zimbabwe's military swears loyalty to Mnangagwa
- Folk singer Bari Siddiqui no more
- Jt working group to implement instrument with Myanmar: Shahriar
- 47 rivers dredged in 8 yrs: Shipping Minister
- Asst train driver killed in Gazipur train-truck collision
- Train derailment in northern India kills 3, hurts 13 others
- Left parties call hartal on Nov 30 protesting power tariff hike
- One killed in Khilgaon police firing
NU VC faces contempt rule
The High Court on Tuesday issued a contempt of court rule against National University Vice Chancellor Dr Harun or Rashid for not complying with its order over the salary payment of a teacher.
An HC bench of Justice Md Ashfaqul Islam and Justice Ashish Ranjan Das passed the order following a petition.
The court also issued a rule asking the government to explain why legal action for contempt of court should not be taken against the VC. The court asked the VC to explain his role within two weeks.
Advocate Abdur Rob Chowdhury and Advocate Gias Uddin stood for the petitioner.
Hafizur Rahman, a National University lecturer, filed a writ petition with the High Court in 2016 for not paying him salary under the National Pay Scale in 1997, 2005, 2009 and 2015.
During hearing on the petition, the court asked the NU VC to provide the salary, but he did not take any step to comply with the court order.