- BNP demands action against Thakurpara attackers
- Panthapath hotel operation: Another ‘militant’ held in city
- Riyad made USAID’s Goodwill Ambassador for youth & dev in BD
- AL leader found slaughtered in Satkhira
- ‘Evil design’ behind delay in appointing new CJ: Moudud
- Govt to be forced to accept demand: BN
- Suu Kyi blames world conflicts partly on illegal immigration
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe faces deadline to resign, or impeachment
- Asian 14/U Series Tennis inaugurated
- Sports-BPL: Tamim, Liton fined for breaching BCB Code of Conduct
No step yet to create election atmosphere: BNP
BNP senior leader Shamsuzzaman Dudu on Tuesday said there is no sign of taking any step to create a congenial atmosphere for holding the next national election as people across the country are still passing their days amid grave panic and worry due to the growing repressive acts.
“You (govt) are kidnapping people whenever you feel to do that and shifting blame on others. You’re also arresting BNP leaders and activists and intellectuals as per your whim, triggering serious panic among people,” he said.
Speaking at a human chain programme, the BNP leader further said, “A terrifying situation has been prevailing across the country, not only in Dhaka. A credible election won’t be possible as long as the fear and panic prevail in public mind.”
Jatiya Gonotantrik Andolan, a pro-BNP platform, arranged the programme in front of the Jatiya Press Club, demanding the release of BNP chairperson’s adviser Zainul Abedin Farroque and other arrested leaders.
Dudu, a BNP vice chairman, urged the government to start withdrawing false cases filed against BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia and other leaders to ensure a proper election environment.