- Remain alert about behaviour, attitude, PM tells party men
- S Korea to provide $1.5 mn for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- Rohingya crisis: BNP says PM failed to convince global leaders
- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
Gazipur UP chairman held for embezzlement of relief rice
Anti Corruption Commission (ACC) arrested a union parishad chairman of Gazipur from Savar on Tuesday night on charge of embezzling relief rice.
The arrestee is Md Alauddin Mollah, 65, UP chairman of Ataboho union parishad in Kaliakoir upazila.
A team of ACC conducted a drive in Savar around 10:00 pm and arrested Alauddin, said Abdul Motaleb Miah, officer-in-charge of Kaliakoir Police Station.
Md Mostafizur Rahman, assistant director of ACC, and also investigation officer of the case, said that a local Mozammel Haque filed a case on December 28, 2016, against Alauddin on charge of embezzling 90 metric tonnes of rice allotted for 1,500 poor people.