- Remain alert about behaviour, attitude, PM tells party men
- S Korea to provide $1.5 mn for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- Rohingya crisis: BNP says PM failed to convince global leaders
- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
Nabbed for yaba, out comes gold; 3 held
Police arrested three people along with 9 gold bars weighing 1.5 kilograms at Moijjartek under Karnaphuli Police Station of the city on Thursday night.
The arrestees were identified as, Rahmatullah, 38, Md Shafi, 70, and Yamin Akhtar, 40 - all residents of Ukhia upazila of Cox’s Bazar district.
Rafiqul Islam, officer-in-charge of Karnaphuli Police station said acting on secret information regarding a yaba consignment, a team of police conducted a drive in the area and started searching the Chittagong-bound buses.
Police arrested the trio on suspicion of being yaba traders from one such bus Chittagong-bound bus coming from Cox’s Bazar.
As police interrogated them regarding yaba consignment, they denied it truthfully, but went on to confess they were smuggling gold that they had swallowed.
Subsequently police recovered 9 gold bars from their digestive systems by feeding them medicine.