- Another Rohingya man stabbed dead in Cox’s Bazar
- Why AL ‘fears’ fair polls, wonders BNP
- Khaleda seeking steps against jr minister for ‘contemptuous’ comment
- 2 workers die falling off Ctg building
- Stop PM from engaging in unilateral campaign: BNP to EC
- Joypurhat road accident kills two
- Pro-AL panel sweeps DU registered graduate polls
- Bill passed to reduce wastage of water
- Half of unpaid wages of jute workers to be cleared: Minister
- Software to say goodbye to tax hassles
Nabbed for yaba, out comes gold; 3 held
Police arrested three people along with 9 gold bars weighing 1.5 kilograms at Moijjartek under Karnaphuli Police Station of the city on Thursday night.
The arrestees were identified as, Rahmatullah, 38, Md Shafi, 70, and Yamin Akhtar, 40 - all residents of Ukhia upazila of Cox’s Bazar district.
Rafiqul Islam, officer-in-charge of Karnaphuli Police station said acting on secret information regarding a yaba consignment, a team of police conducted a drive in the area and started searching the Chittagong-bound buses.
Police arrested the trio on suspicion of being yaba traders from one such bus Chittagong-bound bus coming from Cox’s Bazar.
As police interrogated them regarding yaba consignment, they denied it truthfully, but went on to confess they were smuggling gold that they had swallowed.
Subsequently police recovered 9 gold bars from their digestive systems by feeding them medicine.