- Withdraw case filed against students: BNP
- Muggers loot mobile phone shop in Bogra
- AL factional clash injures 20 in Bianibazar
- Quarterfinals of Inter-University Football on Sunday
- Warrant issued against sub-inspector for dowry torture
- Woman hacked dead by ‘drug addict’ husband in N’ganj
- Eden College students’ protest in solidarity with DU affiliates
- Enamur’s ‘confession’ proves govt behind extrajudicial killings: BNP
- UP chairman killed in Sirajganj road crash
- Nahid for skilled manpower to explore, protect marine resources
Nabbed for yaba, out comes gold; 3 held
Police arrested three people along with 9 gold bars weighing 1.5 kilograms at Moijjartek under Karnaphuli Police Station of the city on Thursday night.
The arrestees were identified as, Rahmatullah, 38, Md Shafi, 70, and Yamin Akhtar, 40 - all residents of Ukhia upazila of Cox’s Bazar district.
Rafiqul Islam, officer-in-charge of Karnaphuli Police station said acting on secret information regarding a yaba consignment, a team of police conducted a drive in the area and started searching the Chittagong-bound buses.
Police arrested the trio on suspicion of being yaba traders from one such bus Chittagong-bound bus coming from Cox’s Bazar.
As police interrogated them regarding yaba consignment, they denied it truthfully, but went on to confess they were smuggling gold that they had swallowed.
Subsequently police recovered 9 gold bars from their digestive systems by feeding them medicine.