- BNP demands action against Thakurpara attackers
- Panthapath hotel operation: Another ‘militant’ held in city
- Riyad made USAID’s Goodwill Ambassador for youth & dev in BD
- AL leader found slaughtered in Satkhira
- ‘Evil design’ behind delay in appointing new CJ: Moudud
- Govt to be forced to accept demand: BN
- Suu Kyi blames world conflicts partly on illegal immigration
- Zimbabwe's Mugabe faces deadline to resign, or impeachment
- Asian 14/U Series Tennis inaugurated
- Sports-BPL: Tamim, Liton fined for breaching BCB Code of Conduct
Nabbed for yaba, out comes gold; 3 held
Police arrested three people along with 9 gold bars weighing 1.5 kilograms at Moijjartek under Karnaphuli Police Station of the city on Thursday night.
The arrestees were identified as, Rahmatullah, 38, Md Shafi, 70, and Yamin Akhtar, 40 - all residents of Ukhia upazila of Cox’s Bazar district.
Rafiqul Islam, officer-in-charge of Karnaphuli Police station said acting on secret information regarding a yaba consignment, a team of police conducted a drive in the area and started searching the Chittagong-bound buses.
Police arrested the trio on suspicion of being yaba traders from one such bus Chittagong-bound bus coming from Cox’s Bazar.
As police interrogated them regarding yaba consignment, they denied it truthfully, but went on to confess they were smuggling gold that they had swallowed.
Subsequently police recovered 9 gold bars from their digestive systems by feeding them medicine.