- Remain alert about behaviour, attitude, PM tells party men
- S Korea to provide $1.5 mn for Rohingyas in Bangladesh
- Rohingya crisis: BNP says PM failed to convince global leaders
- IBBL gets award for highest remittance collection
- 6 killed in Munshiganj textile mill fire
- Mexicans dig in rubble seeking survivors as quake kills 248
- Resolve Rohingya crisis ‘before it’s too late’, PM to OIC
- BNP accuses AL men of attacking puja mandaps
- Tonu killers still remain unidentified
- 2 friends electrocuted in Magura
One half of suspected mugger duo killed by RAB in ‘gunfight’
A suspected mugger was killed and another was injured in a ‘gunfight’ with members of Rapid Action Battalion (Rab) at Dhakeshwari, near the capital’s Lalbag on Thursday afternoon.
The deceased was identified as Alamgir Hossain, 35, while the injured is named Abdul Bari, 45.
Major AH Mohiuddin, Second in Command of Rab-10, said two members of a motorcycle patrol team of the elite force chased a private car after witnessing a snatching in front of Board of Intermediate and Secondary Education around 4:30pm.
When they reached the Dhakeshwari Temple area, the muggers tried to flee the scene ditching their private car.
However, sure enough the criminals instead of running opened fire aimed at members of elite force, prompting or even obliging them to retaliate, triggering a gunfight.
At one stage, Alamgir and Bari were both struck by bullets and critically injured. It is unclear whose bullets they caught – RAB’s or each other’s.
The law enforcers recovered their bodies with bullet injuries and rushed to Dhaka Medical College and Hospital (DMCH), where Alamgir succumbed to his injuries around 8:30pm.